Author Topic: Add GPS to psd  (Read 6744 times)

Offline zdybkela

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Add GPS to psd
« on: March 28, 2010, 07:01:38 AM »
I just installed PM and want to add GPS coordinates to some photos in Lightroom. While I was successful with DNG files it does not seem to work on photos that I worked on in LR roundtripping to photoshop. These files have been converted to psd and remain in my LR catalog. Is there a way to do this? Will this only work if I first add the GPS coordinates before working on the file? How do I add the coordinates to a PSD file?
Thanks.....Kevin

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add GPS to psd
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:13:59 AM »
Kevin,

I just installed PM and want to add GPS coordinates to some photos in Lightroom. While I was successful with DNG files it does not seem to work on photos that I worked on in LR roundtripping to photoshop. These files have been converted to psd and remain in my LR catalog. Is there a way to do this? Will this only work if I first add the GPS coordinates before working on the file? How do I add the coordinates to a PSD file?

I'm a bit confused by your statement: "want to add GPS coordinates to some photos in Lightroom."  Are you using PM to add GPS coordinates or are you using Lightroom to add GPS coordinates?  At what point are you currently adding GPS coordinates during your workflow?  What file format are you working with at the time that you add your GPS coordinates?

-Kirk

Offline zdybkela

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:21:42 AM »
I have 60,000 photos in LR, I want to use PM to add the GPS coordinates and then update LR with the new metadata....it works fine with a DNG file but I can not figure out what how to add GPS data to a PSD file in my LR library. I do not have a workflow for LR to enter GPS data as I have never liked the process. I am trying out PM and really like the map feature for adding GPS info.....I hope that I have made this more clear and thanks for the help.....

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »
I have 60,000 photos in LR, I want to use PM to add the GPS coordinates and then update LR with the new metadata....it works fine with a DNG file but I can not figure out what how to add GPS data to a PSD file in my LR library. I do not have a workflow for LR to enter GPS data as I have never liked the process. I am trying out PM and really like the map feature for adding GPS info.....I hope that I have made this more clear and thanks for the help.....

OK, we looked at the code, and Photo Mechanic currently does not have the capability to set GPS coordinates on PSD files.  It's on our short list of things to add.

-Kirk

Offline zdybkela

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
Thanks for the information.....It is nice to see such a good forum! I am new to PM and it is nice to see such a good resource.....Kevin