Author Topic: Variables and Code Replacement not working together  (Read 2872 times)

Offline william

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Variables and Code Replacement not working together
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »
Well, I'm hoping someone can help me before Tuesday's Women's Final Four.

For the life of me, I can not get the Variables and Code Replacement functions working. I have done this before without issue, but on previous versions of PM. I'm using PM 4.6.3 on a Mac running 10.5.8 I'm sure this is user error, but anyways....

I'm trying to do the common function of taking a bunch of camera serial numbers and having the correct photographer's name applied to the image when it is ingested.

Using MS Word I created a document. I typed the serial number, hit tab, and typed the photographer's name. I hit return and repeated this until all the serial numbers were entered. I saved this file as a "text only" file out of MS Word. I then loaded this file into the "Set Code Replacements" filed in PM. I'm using the equals sign as the delimiter.

In the IPTC Stationery pad I am placing the following into the Photographer field:   ={serialnum}=

But what I get back after ingest is this:  =6392755=  (Fake serial number for illustration)

I'm assuming the problem is with my text file, but I can not for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've uploaded the text file for anyone to look at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I had to manually enter photographer's names last night and it just about killed me.

Thanks,

William Luther
San Antonio Express-News

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Variables and Code Replacement not working together
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
William,

Well, I'm hoping someone can help me before Tuesday's Women's Final Four.

For the life of me, I can not get the Variables and Code Replacement functions working. I have done this before without issue, but on previous versions of PM. I'm using PM 4.6.3 on a Mac running 10.5.8 I'm sure this is user error, but anyways....

I'm trying to do the common function of taking a bunch of camera serial numbers and having the correct photographer's name applied to the image when it is ingested.

Using MS Word I created a document. I typed the serial number, hit tab, and typed the photographer's name. I hit return and repeated this until all the serial numbers were entered. I saved this file as a "text only" file out of MS Word. I then loaded this file into the "Set Code Replacements" filed in PM. I'm using the equals sign as the delimiter.

In the IPTC Stationery pad I am placing the following into the Photographer field:   ={serialnum}=

But what I get back after ingest is this:  =6392755=  (Fake serial number for illustration)

I'm assuming the problem is with my text file, but I can not for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've uploaded the text file for anyone to look at.

I downloaded the text file and added it to my list of Code Replacement files.  I entered \0320210075\ into the IPTC Info dialog and it was replaced with Jerry Lara immediately.  So your file appears to be fine.  What happens if you enter =0320210075= into an IPTC Info dialog?  It should get replaced immediately.

Does the {serialnum} variable evaluate to the same numbers you've used as Codes in your text file?

-Kirk

Offline william

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Variables and Code Replacement not working together
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:12:51 PM »
Kirk,

Problem solved!!! And as I predicted (and you were probably muttering under your breath as you replied to my question), the problem was user error...sort of.

Your question about the {serialnum} variable equating to my text file info was what did it for me. It took some digging since I wrote the serial number straight off the bottom of the camera, but I finally figured it out.

Apparently Canon puts a leading zero on the serial numbers stamped on the bottom of some camera models that is not included in the EXIF info attached to the image.

So, using the Jerry Lara example from before, my text file had Jerry's serial number as 0320210075. That's what's printed on the bottom of the camera. But what was included in the EXIF serial number information was 320210075. Notice no leading zero.

So after beating my head against the wall for far too long. I have the problem solved!

Thanks for your reply Kirk.