Author Topic: 1D Mark IV {act} Variable in 4.6.3 is empty.  (Read 5471 times)

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
    • Dwight McCann Digital Imagery
1D Mark IV {act} Variable in 4.6.3 is empty.
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:48:46 AM »
I searched and didn't see this issue so point me to where it is resolved if I missed something. I am running PM 4.6.3. I have shooting with a Canon 1D Mark IV. The {act} variable when used in creating IPTC data is empty.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 1D Mark IV {act} Variable in 4.6.3 is empty.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 02:26:08 PM »
I searched and didn't see this issue so point me to where it is resolved if I missed something. I am running PM 4.6.3. I have shooting with a Canon 1D Mark IV. The {act} variable when used in creating IPTC data is empty.

Photo Mechanic cannot yet decode the actuation count in the maker note data of 1D Mark IV images.  Canon keeps changing how that data is stored and we haven't figured it out yet.

-Kirk

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:58:21 AM »
Well, if you need any images to work with let me know.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
Well, if you need any images to work with let me know.

Dwight, do you know what the actuation count really is for a particular photo, like one taken today?

We haven't located where this info is stored, if indeed it is stored in the photo.  At the Olympics, we were told by a Canon rep that Canon doesn't or "has never" put the shutter activation count into the photos.  I argued that it sure seems like they used to with the earlier 1D models (since the number we showed appeared accurate or at least consistent).  Furthermore, when I had my 5D Mk II serviced at their MPC support desk they said that their policy is not to give the exact actuation count to the customer.

So, until we find otherwise (e.g. ExifTool figuring this out) then we cannot show this value, sorry.

--dennis

Offline dwightmccann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
Well, that sucks!  I will ask around from my knowledgeable friends. I have no idea if Canon's own tools give actuations for 1D (although I have been assured that for lesser models they do not maintain this information in EXIF) but I will fire something up and see.  Of course, if you rely, even indirectly, on an SDK and they are no longer exposing that value even if it is present there won't be much you can do about it. 

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
I have no idea if Canon's own tools give actuations for 1D

Dwight,

I couldn't find the actuation count in the DPP application (v3.8.1) nor in an ExifTool dump.

If you hear anything from your connections please let me know.

--dennis

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:29:21 PM »
For what it is worth, I've had the Canon Factory Service Center report a shutter count to me when I've asked for it on Mark IINs that were there for service.  However the last time this happened the number they gave me was about 40,000 lower then what Photo Mechanic reported.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that they shutter in that body had been previously replaced.  My assumption is that whenever they replaced the shutter they reset whatever internal counter they can access while the count being reported in EXIF continued forward from where it was with no reset.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/