Author Topic: Corrupted files  (Read 5664 times)

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Corrupted files
« on: April 11, 2010, 04:27:07 PM »
Hi Kirk

I have a strange problem, each time a download my Cf cards, I get a single file with errors and the card remains mounted.
This is with any card from either of my cameras.............one error per card per download........it started with the latest version of PM 4.6.3 - OSX 10.5.8 and on both the laptop and desktop machine. Happens like clock-work and I always format the cards in camera so I'm puzzled.
Do you have any thoughts?

Graham

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Corrupted files
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:37:46 PM »
Graham,

I have a strange problem, each time a download my Cf cards, I get a single file with errors and the card remains mounted.
This is with any card from either of my cameras.............one error per card per download........it started with the latest version of PM 4.6.3 - OSX 10.5.8 and on both the laptop and desktop machine. Happens like clock-work and I always format the cards in camera so I'm puzzled.
Do you have any thoughts?

How old is the card?  They do go bad over time.

Can you copy all of the files with something else like the Finder?

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 02:21:45 AM »
Hi Kirk

Yes, indeed all the images can be copied by finder, once the card has been remounted and it is fine and shows as a normal file. However, when I navigate to the file in question while still mounted at the end of the PM ingest process, the file shows with a generic DNG style thumbnail, which suggested it is in some way different from all the other CR2's.  Very predictable and repeatable, only showing when using PM ingest (very strange an new). The cards are 1-3 years old, I would not think they are anywhere near the end of their useful life, all top quality 'single level' cards.

Thanks

Graham

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:26:49 AM by Graham Morgan »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:48:34 AM »
Have you already tried a different card reader (or even your camera)? It could also be the card reader that is playing up…

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:34:05 AM »
Graham,

Yes, indeed all the images can be copied by finder, once the card has been remounted and it is fine and shows as a normal file. However, when I navigate to the file in question while still mounted at the end of the PM ingest process, the file shows with a generic DNG style thumbnail, which suggested it is in some way different from all the other CR2's.  Very predictable and repeatable, only showing when using PM ingest (very strange an new). The cards are 1-3 years old, I would not think they are anywhere near the end of their useful life, all top quality 'single level' cards.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "once the card has been remounted and it is fine"?

When 'it is fine', can you use Ingest without error?  What makes it be 'not fine' at one point, and 'fine' later?  This is starting to sound like a flaky card reader...

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »
I will clarify:

Ingest happens with one error every time, two different readers, two different machines, all cards. Because there are errors PM leaves the card mounted and shows the problem file, I navigate to the file (on card) with Finder and see it has a generic (apple/dng style) thumbnail image (as apposed to the embedded thumbnail) and I can't do thing with it. This suggests to me that the file is in some way corrupted, so i eject the card with Finder. Now I remount the card and do a straight copy with finder (not with PM ingest), all the files copy to my system with no errors at all.

I hope this helps.

Graham

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:43:52 PM by Graham Morgan »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:38:08 PM »
Graham,

I will clarify:

Ingest happens with one error every time, two different readers, two different machines, all cards. Because there are errors PM leaves the card mounted and shows the problem file, I navigate to the file (on card) with Finder and see it has a generic (apple/dng style) thumbnail image (as apposed to the embedded thumbnail) and I can't do thing with it. This suggests to me that the file is in some way corrupted, so i eject the card with Finder. Now I remount the card and do a straight copy with finder (not with PM ingest), all the files copy to my system with no errors at all.

OK, so there are two tests I'd like you to perform:

1) Mount the card the first time, and use the Finder to copy the card.  Are there any errors?
2) Mount the card the first time, Ingest, receive error.  Unmount card.  Mount card second time and Ingest.  Are there any errors?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:38:50 AM »
Hi Kirk

No errors with finder.......at all. First time "ingest" one error, second time ingest..........no error. Second 'ingest' of the same card after using the finder to copy the files.........no errors.
My conclusion is this........first time ingest (from camera card to PM) gives me a single error, second time ingest does not and finder does not.
There is a clear pattern here, first time ingest = one error every time, subsequent ingest no errors.

This is with 6 separate cards from the same shoot.

Any ideas?

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 05:07:25 AM »
Hi Kirk

No errors with finder.......at all. First time "ingest" one error, second time ingest..........no error. Second 'ingest' of the same card after using the finder to copy the files.........no errors.
My conclusion is this........first time ingest (from camera card to PM) gives me a single error, second time ingest does not and finder does not.
There is a clear pattern here, first time ingest = one error every time, subsequent ingest no errors.

Any ideas?

Send me an email and I will upload one of the files for you, might help.

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:04 AM »
Hi Kirk

Any ideas?

Hi Kirk

This is with the 4.6.3 from the zip file download, I had the copy problem with the Disk image download.

GM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38:11 AM »
Graham,

Any ideas?

This is with the 4.6.3 from the zip file download, I had the copy problem with the Disk image download.

I'm not sure that having one of the files that successfully copied will help at all.  Please try the 4.6.4 beta available in the Announcements section of the forums.  If the problem persists then I will work with you by sending you logging versions of Photo Mechanic that you'll run (and then you'll send me the log files) and this will help find the problem.  Once I know the cause, I should be able to fix it or find a workaround.

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:43 AM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks, I will try 4.6.4 and update you.

Graham