Author Topic: Ingest files from one card adding 2 sets of keywords and locations?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline MMS Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Maybe I missed this and it involves somehow using variables during the ingest, but I often need to use the IPTC stationery pad to enter 2 different locations and sets of keywords for one shoot (the RAW files are all on one card). For example, shots 1-80 are from one location and shots 81-260 are from another location and all photos are located in one folder on one card.

Any way to do this in one operation? ??? Or should I use separate cards for each location?

Thanks,

Michael

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest files from one card adding 2 sets of keywords and locations?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:12:11 PM »
Michael,

Maybe I missed this and it involves somehow using variables during the ingest, but I often need to use the IPTC stationery pad to enter 2 different locations and sets of keywords for one shoot (the RAW files are all on one card). For example, shots 1-80 are from one location and shots 81-260 are from another location and all photos are located in one folder on one card.

Any way to do this in one operation? ??? Or should I use separate cards for each location?

Not really.  Since you can't choose the first set of files and ingest them separately from the second set, I suggest just ingesting them without applying the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Then once the files are on your system, select the first 80 images and apply the IPTC Stationery with the information that applies to them.  Then select the second set of files and apply the IPTC Stationery with the information that applies to the second set.

If you did use a different card for each shoot then you could do two separate ingests each with their own IPTC Stationery Pad settings.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline MMS Photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:50:55 AM »
Thanks, Kirk. Your solution is what I have been doing and it works easily enough. Never hurts to ask, though...

Offline Rick Baumhauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
I do something similar under these circumstances, but I actually do use the IPTC Stationery Pad, but with any fields that aren't shared between the two shoots unchecked.  So, PM still applies my copyright and contact info, as much location info as can be shared between the two shoots (ie, same state, country), and any keywords they might share.  I then go through and apply keywords separately, and also caption separately.  Not sure which works out to more work, but the system has worked for me so far.