Author Topic: Un-rotated pictures from Nikon D200  (Read 8916 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
Un-rotated pictures from Nikon D200
« on: August 22, 2006, 03:52:06 PM »
After ingest with PM I found some of the photos correctly rotated to portrait. Some were not. I selected six of them and used the rotate command (counter clockwise), but only three of them were rotated at all.
The Nikon ingest software does not rotate all photos correctly either.
So where is the bug?
Any ideas what to do?

PM 4.3.7 on MacOS 10.3.9 with Nikon D200

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Un-rotated pictures from Nikon D200
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
After ingest with PM I found some of the photos correctly rotated to portrait. Some were not. I selected six of them and used the rotate command (counter clockwise), but only three of them were rotated at all.
The Nikon ingest software does not rotate all photos correctly either.
So where is the bug?
Any ideas what to do?

PM 4.3.7 on MacOS 10.3.9 with Nikon D200

Photo Mechanic 4.3.7 is pretty old these days.  It was written long before the D200 came out.  You could try a later version, like 4.4.3.2, or if you would like to upload a sample which won't rotate to our server then I'd be happy to take a look at the file.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:33:15 PM »
Kirk,
as you recommended I'm checking the demo of the latest version:
Still the same - after ingest from the D200 some photos are rotated to portrait, but most of them are not.
The improvement: PM rotates all selected on manual command

Made a comparison to my Ixus: here after ingest all photos appear in correct orientation.

Could the problem be a bad orientation exif tag in the D200?

Greets,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 05:03:17 PM »
HM,

as you recommended I'm checking the demo of the latest version:
Still the same - after ingest from the D200 some photos are rotated to portrait, but most of them are not.
The improvement: PM rotates all selected on manual command

Made a comparison to my Ixus: here after ingest all photos appear in correct orientation.

Could the problem be a bad orientation exif tag in the D200?

It could be a bad orientation sensor in the camera.  If you want to upload a sample image, I can take a look at it.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name and sending me a message.  I'll respond with server upload information.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 07:42:27 AM »
I have the same problem with my D2H - inconsisent rotations even though I shoot on a monopod and am not putting the body at an awkward angle where the sensor would be confused as to what is up/down.

I can't afford to be without the body for 6-8 weeks to send it back to Nikon for them to look at it until probably mid-winter.

Could one of you please post a conclusion to this thread if you find something out (PM vs. camera body issue).

Thanks!!!

-Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 09:35:20 AM »
Mike,

I have the same problem with my D2H - inconsisent rotations even though I shoot on a monopod and am not putting the body at an awkward angle where the sensor would be confused as to what is up/down.

I can't afford to be without the body for 6-8 weeks to send it back to Nikon for them to look at it until probably mid-winter.

Could one of you please post a conclusion to this thread if you find something out (PM vs. camera body issue).

If either of you could upload one of your questionable photos, I can find out conclusively and report the results.

-Kirk

Offline FairfieldPhoto

• View Profile
    • Fairfield Photography, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:19:28 AM »
As I was preparing a photo to send you, I realized I had one more set of tests I could do. 

1) I copied the images from the CF card directly to a folder on my hard drive (did not ingest with PM).
2) Started Nikon View and opened the images from within View.
3) Saw the images were still not auto-rotated, even though the auto rotate option is ON in my D2H.

In my opinion, this eliminates PM as the culprit.  Sorry I didn't think of this one sooner.

-Mike

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 07:43:21 AM »
The culprit is the camera software. After updating the firmware to 2.0 all photos showed the correct orientation upon ingesting. The 2.0 firmware was just released by Nikon beginning of October.

Cheers,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »
The culprit is the camera software. After updating the firmware to 2.0 all photos showed the correct orientation upon ingesting. The 2.0 firmware was just released by Nikon beginning of October.

Thanks for posting this.  Hopefully it will help other D200 owners experiencing this issue.

-Kirk