Author Topic: IPCT fields in Search  (Read 4473 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
IPCT fields in Search
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:01:55 PM »
Is there a technical reason why the complete list of IPCT fields is not available to be searched in PM using the Spotlight search facility? Keywords and Caption are there but nothing else from IPTC as far as I can see. For these you need to go to Find. Having two places to do Searches/Finds seems strange to me. I do understand that Windows users don't have Spotlight- not sure what their Find looks like.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:15:55 PM by chardinej »
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPCT fields in Search
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:15:35 PM »
John,

Is there a technical reason why the complete list of IPCT fields are not available to be searched in PM using the Spotlight search facility? Keywords and Caption are there but nothing else from IPTC as far as I can see. For these you need to go to Find. Having two places to do Searches/Finds seems strange to me. I do understand that Windows users don't have Spotlight- not sure what their Find looks like.

Spotlight doesn't index all of the fields in IPTC and completely ignores XMP.  We provide what's available.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:24:41 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

While we are on the subject, is it true that all IPTC metadata are located in each image file and not in a sidecar of any sort?

OH, BTW I have set Adobe Camera Raw to save edits in its own database rather than in XMP sidecar files. All this was to get away from separate sidecar files. Maybe this was a mistake.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

While we are on the subject, is it true that all IPTC metadata are located in each image file and not in a sidecar of any sort?

OH, BTW I have set Adobe Camera Raw to save edits in its own database rather than in XMP sidecar files. All this was to get away from separate sidecar files. Maybe this was a mistake.

IPTC is only embedded in files: there is no such thing as an IPTC sidecar file.

Spotlight won't index XMP files and moreover even if it did, it wouldn't associate the XMP metadata with the image file it belongs to.  I requested this extension to Spotlight a few years ago at an Apple developer conference and they weren't interested.

-Kirk