Author Topic: Please change ENTER keys  (Read 4983 times)

Offline brettaclark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Please change ENTER keys
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
may be a small thing, but please make it so that when you hit the enter key on the keypad, it clicks OK for you in the IPTC field. Photoshop does this in the file info and it is so helpful.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Please change ENTER keys
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
may be a small thing, but please make it so that when you hit the enter key on the keypad, it clicks OK for you in the IPTC field. Photoshop does this in the file info and it is so helpful.

Command-Enter does the same thing in Photo Mechanic's IPTC dialogs.  Otherwise if we made Enter OK the dialog, you wouldn't be able to enter multiple lines of text in the multi-line text fields.

-Kirk

Offline brettaclark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:29 AM »
I'm referring to the Enter key on the Keypad (to the right, by the numbers), not the return or enter key beside the letters. But now that I know cmd+enter works that's a big help.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:46:18 AM by brettaclark »

Offline Jack Baty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
No matter how long I use PM, I always expect the Enter key to save and dismiss the dialog. I don't expect it to enter a return in a field - that's what the (appropriately named) Return key is for :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 07:01:42 PM »
Jack,

No matter how long I use PM, I always expect the Enter key to save and dismiss the dialog. I don't expect it to enter a return in a field - that's what the (appropriately named) Return key is for :)

Please explain then how you would expect to enter a multi-line caption in the IPTC Info and IPTC Stationery Pad dialogs if they keep dismissing themselves when you press the Return key?

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:05:02 AM »
Kirk,
The short answer is that the Enter key on the keypad would close the dialog, and the Return key would enter a new line.

It turns out PM already does this on a MacBook Pro, so it would involve changing only the function of the Enter key on a full-size keyboard.

The long answer:

I did some comparisons between PM and PS, and included LR but it has its own set of quirks and inconsistencies. Note that these comparisons are made on Mac systems. Windows may likely have its own set of inconsistencies (perhaps a Windows user can do something similar to verify this).

Here's what the comparison shows:
- PM is inconsistent with PS regarding the use of the Return and Enter keys on a full-size keyboard. The above posts seem to be asking for consistency between PM and PS, a reasonable request.
- PM is inconsistent with itself between full-size keyboards and laptop keyboards. The Enter key on a full-size keyboard is a new line; the Enter key on a laptop keyboard (fn-Return) closes the dialog.
- PM is also inconsistent with itself between full-size keyboards and laptop keyboards regarding the Ctrl-Enter keystroke. 

Here's the comparison:

Full-size keyboard with keypad (Return key on full keyboard, Enter key on Keypad):
KeystrokePMPS  LR
ReturnNLNLNL
EnterNLOKOK*
Cmd-ReturnOKOKSlideshow
Cmd-EnterOKOKN/A (Beep)
Ctrl-ReturnNL**NLNL
Ctrl-EnterOKOKNL

Laptop keyboard (on a MacBook Pro fn-Return is equivalent to Enter):
KeystrokePMPS  LR
ReturnNLNLOK***
Enter(fn-Return)OKOKOK*
Cmd-ReturnOKOKSlideshow
Cmd-Enter(fn-Cmd-Return)OKOKN/A (Beep)
Ctrl-ReturnNL**NLNL
Ctrl-Enter(fn-Ctrl-Return)NL**OKNL

*    In LR there isn't an actual dialog with an OK button; the Enter key exits data entry in the Metadata panel.
**  A new line is entered into the field, but when you close the dialog the following message appears:
"Some of the characters cannot be represented in the default encoding and will result in data loss.
Would you like to save in the Unicode format which will preserve all of your data?"

I guess the question is do I have a preference incorrectly set, or does Ctrl-Return put in an invalid character?
*** LR is inconsistent between keyboards, and IMO this is broke and needs to be changed to match LR's full-size keyboard behavior.

Offline Jack Baty

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 08:32:04 PM »
It looks like jimb has answered quite thoroughly!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »
It looks like jimb has answered quite thoroughly!

Indeed.

-Kirk