Author Topic: PM and Photoshop CS2 Cache Settings  (Read 6038 times)

Offline joetothphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Photoshop CS2 Cache Settings
« on: April 18, 2010, 10:32:27 AM »
Hi,

I have looked at some other posts, but I am trying to find a combination of settings for me.

I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8

Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4 GHz and 4GB of RAM, however I will be upgrading to 6GB in the following week or so.

I am curious what my cache settings should be in PM as well as Photoshop. I am noticing a lot of beachballs and lock-ups when runnings both programs to edit pictures. Needless to say it is pissing me off as both programs are great and I think my settings need some tweaking.

Also, kirk, can you add an eject button in PM so I can eject a card if I am working from it and not downloading?

Thanks

Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Photoshop CS2 Cache Settings
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »
Joe,

I have looked at some other posts, but I am trying to find a combination of settings for me.

I am running Mac OSX 10.5.8

Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4 GHz and 4GB of RAM, however I will be upgrading to 6GB in the following week or so.

I am curious what my cache settings should be in PM as well as Photoshop. I am noticing a lot of beachballs and lock-ups when runnings both programs to edit pictures. Needless to say it is pissing me off as both programs are great and I think my settings need some tweaking.

Also, kirk, can you add an eject button in PM so I can eject a card if I am working from it and not downloading?

Just Control-click on the disk icon in the Navigator and choose "Eject" from the contextual menu.

As for your cache settings, please list your current settings for both applications and I'll let you know what I think you should set them to.

-Kirk

Offline joetothphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:51:07 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks. I'll keep using that method of eject. I normally ingest a card and let it auto-eject.

Anyways, here are my settings:

PM: Disk Cache: 1020MB / Resrve at least 100 MB / Memory cache 768MB

CS2: Plug-Ins and Scratch Disks - I don't have anything set up. Memory and Image Cache: Cache Levels 6 and 74% used by Cs2 out of 3072 MB total available

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
Joe,

Thanks. I'll keep using that method of eject. I normally ingest a card and let it auto-eject.

Anyways, here are my settings:

PM: Disk Cache: 1020MB / Resrve at least 100 MB / Memory cache 768MB

CS2: Plug-Ins and Scratch Disks - I don't have anything set up. Memory and Image Cache: Cache Levels 6 and 74% used by Cs2 out of 3072 MB total available

Well, since Photoshop's memory cache is percentage based, it's going to use even more RAM once you add that additional RAM to your system.  I'd push it down to 40% now and 30% once you add your RAM.  As for Photo Mechanic, your settings are fine and should result in very good performance.  If you want to set the Memory cache higher, do not exceed 1024.  More isn't always better.

-Kirk