Author Topic: Folder created in /Volumes when cache drive not available on Mac OS  (Read 3102 times)

Offline tonyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am using Mac OS X 10.5.8 and version 4.6.3 and 4.6.4 (same behavior in previous versions also) of Photo Mechanic.  I have my cache setup on an external drive.  When the external drive is not powered on, PM creates a folder in the /Volumes directory and proceeds to use that folder like the disk drive (for cache and ingest) with no warning. Most other applications (Aperture, Photoshop, NX2 etc..) post a warning that the cache drive is not available and ask for either a default of alternate location before the app is opened.  I have to go delete the folder and any ingests that were done because they are loaded into that folder.  Have I missed a setting somewhere?  Can a warning be posted when the cache location is not available and before PM opens and creates this dummy folder?  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder created in /Volumes when cache drive not available on Mac OS
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »
Tony,

I am using Mac OS X 10.5.8 and version 4.6.3 and 4.6.4 (same behavior in previous versions also) of Photo Mechanic.  I have my cache setup on an external drive.  When the external drive is not powered on, PM creates a folder in the /Volumes directory and proceeds to use that folder like the disk drive (for cache and ingest) with no warning. Most other applications (Aperture, Photoshop, NX2 etc..) post a warning that the cache drive is not available and ask for either a default of alternate location before the app is opened.  I have to go delete the folder and any ingests that were done because they are loaded into that folder.  Have I missed a setting somewhere?  Can a warning be posted when the cache location is not available and before PM opens and creates this dummy folder?  Thanks.

Why are you putting the cache on an external drive?  It will be slower there.  What is wrong with the default location?

-Kirk

Offline tonyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have used it for space reasons on my Mac Pro laptop hard drive (200G).  If I shouldn't use an external drive, that is fine, and I will free up space for the default.  However, I am not sure PM should be creating folders to replace disks without warning.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
Tony,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I have used it for space reasons on my Mac Pro laptop hard drive (200G).  If I shouldn't use an external drive, that is fine, and I will free up space for the default.  However, I am not sure PM should be creating folders to replace disks without warning.

Agreed.  I'll consider it a bug and see what I can do to fix it.

Offline tonyr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 04:28:25 AM »
Thanks.