Author Topic: Arbitrary rotate/crop & Photoshop batches processing  (Read 5524 times)

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Arbitrary rotate/crop & Photoshop batches processing
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:26:34 AM »
First, thank you Kirk and Camera Bits, PM is amazing software. It's a challenge to think of improvements.

I'd like to be able to crop/rotate photos in an arbitrary manner, not just a selection that is parallel to the original dimensions. Occasionally when shooting football or basketball, I'll screw up and not have the camera level, then have to use Photoshop to rotate the image 1º-5º. If the crop selection box on the Preview window could be spinned to straighten the image, that would eliminate a tedious non-automated batch process.

Many of the feature requests that have been made on this forum seem to be things that can be done as a batch process on Photoshop, such as sharpening, changing levels or applying a curve to a set of photos. It would be great to have Photo Mechanic work along with Photoshop by running PS tasks, but I accomplish the same tasks by having PS run a batch process while PM runs another process on the same folder.

(eg. PM: Save as, with crop, resize, rename. Then, PS: apply unsharp mask, auto levels, save as, close. Then, PM: Ftp or e-mail.) Since PS runs slower than PM, I just start both processes, then start to write cutlines and add keywords to each file as it comes off of the assembly line, then send it off. If anyone has a suggestion on how to improve this workflow which also catalogs and archives, I'd love to learn!

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
Re: Arbitrary rotate/crop & Photoshop batches processing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:47:12 AM »
Tim, and anyone may correct me if I'm wrong, there is allready a way of doing batches through PS. There is a "Send photos to droplet" in the Image menu. Droplets are PS actions converted to an executable. So if you want to batch things through PS, you create an action with all commands you want executed and convert that action to a droplet. Point PM to the droplets (Preferences / Launching / Photoshop droplets location), select the images you want to batch process and select the right droplet under the above mentioned "Send photos to droplet" command. There you go!

That is at least my understanding of things.

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:23:01 PM »
gregoire,

Interesting... I've never tried droplets or scripts, too worried about ruining a good thing. I'll look into it more and see what I can find out.

-Tim

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:38:24 PM »
Tim, your photoshop process would easily convert into a droplet, save your ps steps as a action then convert it into a droplet.

File - Automate - create droplet