Author Topic: DNG conversion on ingest?  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
DNG conversion on ingest?
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »
Kirk- I notice in v4.6 that you have included a Convert to DNG in the tools menu. Also, there is the new Live Ingest feature (jpg only?). Has any thought been given to to having the standard ingest have the same setup as Live Ingest (3 possible folder destinations) with Convert to DNG being called within either the 2nd or 3rd destinations? I use a RAW camera capture with a DNG workflow. Converting on ingest is a real time saver and backup plus.

--Dave
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: DNG conversion on ingest?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:03:59 AM »
Dave,

Kirk- I notice in v4.6 that you have included a Convert to DNG in the tools menu. Also, there is the new Live Ingest feature (jpg only?). Has any thought been given to to having the standard ingest have the same setup as Live Ingest (3 possible folder destinations) with Convert to DNG being called within either the 2nd or 3rd destinations? I use a RAW camera capture with a DNG workflow. Converting on ingest is a real time saver and backup plus.

We may do that in the future.

-Kirk

Offline Terence Dodge

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:46:33 AM »
hello

That is a request from me also, I have been using ImageIngester Pro3 because it has this ability to save back ups to multiple places ( disks, ) and due the DNG from NEF, using Adobe DNG converter, your product has the superior interface and since you have added the GPS integration ( which IIP also supports, but not the mapping ) with the mapping for when I did not collect with my GPSr ( forgets GPS, brings but forgot to turn ON GPS ) IIP does not have this mapping feature, there for I have used HoudaGeo in the past to locate and place GPS data into the DNG.

It may be possible for me to retire two programs and just use PM in place of those afore mentioned programs. Still testing PM 4.6

Terence
OS is 10.5.6, PM is 4.5.4, 4gig ram

Offline julian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
I'd third, or fourth this. I think adding the ability to ingest and then toss RAW files in one directory and then convert to DNG and put those into another directory would be like putting wheels on luggage for image ingestion. I'm sure there's a good reason for the reluctance, but I think this would be an obviously advantageous feature for those who don't yet use it. Like those of us who used to lug around luggage and scoff at those wimps who wheeled it around..until we realized how amazing it was. I'd gladly toss ImageIngestor and use Photo Mechanic for its ability to manage keywording and so forth. ((Parenthetically, I really hope Photo Mechanic doesn't get into being an unwieldly cataloging application. It seems quite good at what it does presently — anything substantially more makes the decision as to which catalog program to use a real muddle..all that is bad enough already.))

Offline Hydester

• View Profile
    • Hotel Resort Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »
I'd be up for this on the sole proviso that there was no speed loss.

Speed is PM's killer strength and anything that would impact on this would be a no-no for me. Am happy to do my conversions after the job using LightRoom (when time is not an issue).

Steve

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:04:43 AM »
Steve,

I'd be up for this on the sole proviso that there was no speed loss.

Speed is PM's killer strength and anything that would impact on this would be a no-no for me. Am happy to do my conversions after the job using LightRoom (when time is not an issue).

There would definitely be a speed loss.  The amount of time spent running the DNG Converter for each file would add minutes of time to the Ingest.

-Kirk

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
Steve,

There would definitely be a speed loss.  The amount of time spent running the DNG Converter for each file would add minutes of time to the Ingest.

-Kirk

But it would be user selectable. Don't want it,don't use it.
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
Dave,

But it would be user selectable. Don't want it,don't use it.

Of course.  We would never force users to convert RAW files to DNG files on Ingest.

-Kirk

Offline julian

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
Certainly, this should be an option for users. I'm often not in a rush the way pro photojournalists often might be. But, I am a fiend for efficiency in the workflow. I'm still actively demoing Photo Mechanic and it looks promising _only_ because of the interface for semantic tagging of images, and even that has some room for improvement. It won't be my cataloging program, nor my ingesting program if it can't do the conversions from NEF/RAW to DNG. I'll stick to ImageIngester for that, it seems — use Photo Mechanic for keywording and perhaps a bit of tagging..and then something like LR for cataloging.

*sigh*  :-\

Julian