Author Topic: Ingest is slow on PM 4.6.3 and iMac  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Mokane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest is slow on PM 4.6.3 and iMac
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:00:26 AM »
HI I'm using an iMac running os 10.6.3 build 10d573 with an intel 3.06 core 2 duo and PM 4.6.3. When I ingest selecting the primary destination (After the dialog pops up) takes as long as 15 seconds sometimes. I get the spinning beach ball and proceeding from there takes a good while as well. Downloading the images is fine, getting them to where I want them is the slow part
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest is slow on PM 4.6.3 and iMac
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
Michael,

HI I'm using an iMac running os 10.6.3 build 10d573 with an intel 3.06 core 2 duo and PM 4.6.3. When I ingest selecting the primary destination (After the dialog pops up) takes as long as 15 seconds sometimes. I get the spinning beach ball and proceeding from there takes a good while as well. Downloading the images is fine, getting them to where I want them is the slow part

Please try the 4.6.4 beta version available in the Announcements section of the forums.  If the problem persists, please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline Mokane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »
Hi Kirk
Just tried it (The beta 4.6.4) and it's no better
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »
Michael,

Just tried it (The beta 4.6.4) and it's no better

OK, so it's the picking of a folder for the Primary destination that is slow?  Does it take a long time for the dialog to appear?  Is interacting with the dialog itself slow?  Does dismissing the dialog take a long time?  Does the dialog disappear quickly but PM takes a long time to resume?

I need to have a better description about what is slow in order to understand what is going on.

-Kirk

Offline Mokane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:17:14 PM »
Hi Kirk
From the ingest dialog it takes 20 seconds to get to the Choose a destination Directory then another long wait to get to the open destination dialog, It is really slow in interacting with those dialog boxes, closing them takes a while as well. Once the dialog box is open it's normal i.e. the actual ingesting of the images is quick
I really appreciate your patience with me & I hope this is a better description of what's going on
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
Michael,

From the ingest dialog it takes 20 seconds to get to the Choose a destination Directory then another long wait to get to the open destination dialog, It is really slow in interacting with those dialog boxes, closing them takes a while as well. Once the dialog box is open it's normal i.e. the actual ingesting of the images is quick
I really appreciate your patience with me & I hope this is a better description of what's going on

In version 4.6.2.1 and higher, Photo Mechanic runs the Apple file/folder picker dialogs in their own process (because if we don't then some of Apple's cleanup code crashes Photo Mechanic nearly 100% of the time.)

Is your system particularly overworked?  It should take much less than one second to launch another process as simple as the one PM is launching.  Are you connected to any slow devices/disks/network that may take a long time to get their directory contents?

Do you have anything installed on your system that augments the file/folder picker dialogs?

-Kirk

Offline Mokane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:33:05 PM »
I have two Western digital External Drives ( 1 TB and 2 TB) one is the Mac Backup "Time Machine" drive and the other is for photo backup only when I "Eject" them the problem seems to go away. Is there any way I can tell PM to ignore them. I really like the idea of Mac's hourly backup scheme, and the ability to archive photos on an external drive and not have to disconnect and reconnect the drive(s). At any rate I can live with it if I have to. Thanks once again for your patience in troubleshooting this, I know how frustrating it can be and I want you to know it's really appreciated
Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:30:12 PM »
Michael,

I have two Western digital External Drives ( 1 TB and 2 TB) one is the Mac Backup "Time Machine" drive and the other is for photo backup only when I "Eject" them the problem seems to go away. Is there any way I can tell PM to ignore them. I really like the idea of Mac's hourly backup scheme, and the ability to archive photos on an external drive and not have to disconnect and reconnect the drive(s). At any rate I can live with it if I have to. Thanks once again for your patience in troubleshooting this, I know how frustrating it can be and I want you to know it's really appreciated

Any drives that you want PM to ignore, just create a folder on the root of the drive named:

PMIngestIgnore

and PM will ignore it.

-Kirk

Offline Mokane

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:37:21 PM »
Hi Kirk
I just found out one of the Western Digital external HDD's was failing. Disk Utility analyzed it and couldn't repair it. I have a new External HDD now and all's well
Thanks once again
Michael