Author Topic: Lightroom, rotation and XMP  (Read 2495 times)

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
Lightroom, rotation and XMP
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:51:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Seeing you're already changing crop behaviour in the latest beta, this might be a moot point but I thought I'd share my experience from this morning anyway.

I ingested a shoot (1000+ images of an event) with PM but forgot to add a bunch of IPTC data during ingestion. Went over to LR3 beta2 for postprocessing and along the way changed crop and rotation for quite a few shots. Just before exporting from LR I noticed I'd forgotten to add some IPTC data to all files and went back to PM to correct this mistake and wrote everything to both RAW and XMP. I then in LR gave the command to reread metadata from saved xmp files, thinking PM would have only added IPTC info. Wrong assumption... On every rotated image, both crop and rotation settings had vanished. Luckily I had a backup so everything was solved quickly. Somehow PM, at least in its current non-beta version, messes up crop AND rotation changes in XMP, at least in LR3 beta2 sidecars.

Just thought I'd give you this bit of info. As stated: it might have been addressed already, I don't know as I didn't download your latest beta.

Cheers & have a great weekend!
- Emile

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Lightroom, rotation and XMP
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:58:39 AM »
Emile,

Seeing you're already changing crop behaviour in the latest beta, this might be a moot point but I thought I'd share my experience from this morning anyway.

I ingested a shoot (1000+ images of an event) with PM but forgot to add a bunch of IPTC data during ingestion. Went over to LR3 beta2 for postprocessing and along the way changed crop and rotation for quite a few shots. Just before exporting from LR I noticed I'd forgotten to add some IPTC data to all files and went back to PM to correct this mistake and wrote everything to both RAW and XMP. I then in LR gave the command to reread metadata from saved xmp files, thinking PM would have only added IPTC info. Wrong assumption... On every rotated image, both crop and rotation settings had vanished. Luckily I had a backup so everything was solved quickly. Somehow PM, at least in its current non-beta version, messes up crop AND rotation changes in XMP, at least in LR3 beta2 sidecars.

Just thought I'd give you this bit of info. As stated: it might have been addressed already, I don't know as I didn't download your latest beta.

When you say rotation changes, are you talking about rotated crops?  Or are you talking about the wholesale rotation (90, 180, 270) of the image itself?

-Kirk

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:45:44 PM »
Yup, rotated crops are what I'm talking about. Crops without rotation don't give me any problems and I noticed they show up nicely in PM, in contrast to the rotated crops that don't give me any cropping indication in PM. Might be LR3, seeing it's a beta, but if LR3 final shares the same xmp structure... I could send you a file if that's what you need, but I guess you would be able to reproduce this?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »
Gregoire,

Yup, rotated crops are what I'm talking about. Crops without rotation don't give me any problems and I noticed they show up nicely in PM, in contrast to the rotated crops that don't give me any cropping indication in PM. Might be LR3, seeing it's a beta, but if LR3 final shares the same xmp structure... I could send you a file if that's what you need, but I guess you would be able to reproduce this?

That issue should be resolved in 4.6.4.  The Adobe crops will also no longer show up in PM.

Thanks for following up.

-Kirk

Offline gregoire

• View Profile
    • www.emilegregoire.com
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
Good news, thanks.
- Emile