Author Topic: Adding folders to favorites  (Read 6032 times)

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Adding folders to favorites
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »
I must be missing something elementary, but it's been a while since I added a folder to my Favorites panel.

I had searched the user's manual, in program help, and this forum for "add to favorites" and found some info, but not anything that told me how to do this. I visually searched through the menu panels. I tried right clicking on folders in the Navigator panel and even right clicking on the active contact sheet tab. I also tried holding down the various command option control keys while doing so as well. Zip Zilch Nada. 

I finally located a reference in the online help ....though it was only located once I removed the "s" as it was only under "favorite" not "favorites" which is odd as that section of the contact sheet is called "Favorites" :-\ .....  This reference was to the "Remember Folders as Favorites" under the File menu item.

However, no matter where I am within Photo Mechanic, I can never get to a point where that menu item isn't grayed out.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.3 under Mac OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel-based Mac.

Any suggestions on what I've not tried that works?

TIA,

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Adding folders to favorites
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:56:36 AM »
David,

I must be missing something elementary, but it's been a while since I added a folder to my Favorites panel.

I had searched the user's manual, in program help, and this forum for "add to favorites" and found some info, but not anything that told me how to do this. I visually searched through the menu panels. I tried right clicking on folders in the Navigator panel and even right clicking on the active contact sheet tab. I also tried holding down the various command option control keys while doing so as well. Zip Zilch Nada. 

I finally located a reference in the online help ....though it was only located once I removed the "s" as it was only under "favorite" not "favorites" which is odd as that section of the contact sheet is called "Favorites" :-\ .....  This reference was to the "Remember Folders as Favorites" under the File menu item.

However, no matter where I am within Photo Mechanic, I can never get to a point where that menu item isn't grayed out.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.3 under Mac OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel-based Mac.

Any suggestions on what I've not tried that works?

Drag and drop should work just fine.  Just drag a folder from the Navigator to the Favorites.  As for the Remember Folders as Favorite command, you have to have a contact sheet tab containing multiple folders active for that command to be available.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:03:42 PM »
Kirk:

Thanks! It might be useful to note that in the documentation in the future.  I think the last time I did that it may have been by accident, so couldn't recall the process. I guess that falls into the "obvious if already known" techniques.  ;D

BTW, I misunderstood your original reply, but in doing so found another way. If I drag and drop a folder from the Finder (on Mac) into the Favorites folder it is set as a Favorite as well. I think I may have done so from a drive that is different from the one where the application is located, so don't know if there would be a problem if the folder was on the main drive (same as the application).

Will have to test on my Windows machine to see if that works as well.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a feeling I'd say "duh" after finding out.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:35:53 PM »
Thanks! It might be useful to note that in the documentation in the future.  I think the last time I did that it may have been by accident, so couldn't recall the process. I guess that falls into the "obvious if already known" techniques.  ;D

From the 4.6.3 Manual:

"The Navigator is a view of the familiar hierarchy of folders which can be opened to reach sub-folders etc. By dragging a folder from Navigator into the Favorites panel you now have essentially a ‘shortcut’ to that folder without having to fully negotiate the folder hierarchy."

Perhaps you could suggest something to make the above more clear?

Quote from: riecks
BTW, I misunderstood your original reply, but in doing so found another way. If I drag and drop a folder from the Finder (on Mac) into the Favorites folder it is set as a Favorite as well. I think I may have done so from a drive that is different from the one where the application is located, so don't know if there would be a problem if the folder was on the main drive (same as the application).

That should work as well.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 07:35:21 AM »
Kirk:

You are correct, the separate PDF user's manual does contain that info (it's the 8th of 20+ matches on a search for "favorites").

However, the "in-program" help, (which I accessed under the Help menu in the program), didn't have any hits for "Favorites."  If I take off the "s" then that search for "Favorite" yields one match, to the menu item only (which was grayed out).

That's the documentation that I was referring to before.

David

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:59:37 AM »
David,

You are correct, the separate PDF user's manual does contain that info (it's the 8th of 20+ matches on a search for "favorites").

However, the "in-program" help, (which I accessed under the Help menu in the program), didn't have any hits for "Favorites."  If I take off the "s" then that search for "Favorite" yields one match, to the menu item only (which was grayed out).

That's the documentation that I was referring to before.

I'll get the built-in help updated.

Thanks,

-Kirk