Author Topic: star ratings between Adobe Bridge and Photo Mechanic  (Read 4607 times)

Offline macthedog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
star ratings between Adobe Bridge and Photo Mechanic
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:16:05 AM »
I'm looking to dump Adobe Bridge for Photo Mechanic but require an interim period prior to full blown migration...  Is there a way to transfer ratings (think star ratings in iTunes) with a file and be recognized in Bridge FROM Photo Mechanic and visa versa? My suspicion is that it can't and that the Photo Mechanic software writes that information in an XML file or some other proprietary format. It does, however, work in Bridge (star ratings entered in Bridge show in Photo Mechanic).

Thanks,

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: star ratings between Adobe Bridge and Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
I'm looking to dump Adobe Bridge for Photo Mechanic but require an interim period prior to full blown migration...  Is there a way to transfer ratings (think star ratings in iTunes) with a file and be recognized in Bridge FROM Photo Mechanic and visa versa? My suspicion is that it can't and that the Photo Mechanic software writes that information in an XML file or some other proprietary format. It does, however, work in Bridge (star ratings entered in Bridge show in Photo Mechanic).

When setup correctly, Photo Mechanic's star ratings and Adobe's star ratings are 100% compatible.  It is true that PM can write star ratings into an XML format, but that format is XMP, specifically Adobe's XMP format.  The Photo Mechanic manual explains how to set PM up to work best with Adobe's products.

-Kirk

Offline riecks

• Beta Testers
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: star ratings between Adobe Bridge and Photo Mechanic
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:24:26 AM »
Macthedog:

The Photometadata.org website includes a tutorial, with screen captures showing how to configure the Photo Mechanic preferences to work with an Adobe workflow.
http://www.photometadata.org/META-Tutorials-Photo-Mechanic-Setting-Metadata-Preferences

Hope that helps.

David