Author Topic: Problem moving Photos  (Read 5892 times)

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem moving Photos
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »
I am having a problem moving photos in PM from one folder to another. 
I am running MBP with OS 10.5.8, and PM 4.6.3

With PM open, images are selected on the contact sheet (both RAW and JPEG images and I am viewing RAW and JPEG's as one file)

I then drag the images that are selected to a subfolder of the folder that I am working in. 

A few of the images move, then PM locks on me.  The abort button does not let me do anything.  Clicking the the taskbar to try and force-quit PM does nothing either.  The only way to resolve is to power-down the Mac, then start up.  This has happened 2 times to me. 

Also, the images are NOT on my hard drive, but rather on a WD external.  I tried to replicate the problem with images on the hard drive and I could not get it to happen.  The only time the problem occurred was when using the WD external. 

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem moving Photos
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
MBP is Intel based.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:55:22 AM »
I am having a problem moving photos in PM from one folder to another. 
I am running MBP with OS 10.5.8, and PM 4.6.3

With PM open, images are selected on the contact sheet (both RAW and JPEG images and I am viewing RAW and JPEG's as one file)

I then drag the images that are selected to a subfolder of the folder that I am working in. 

A few of the images move, then PM locks on me.  The abort button does not let me do anything.  Clicking the the taskbar to try and force-quit PM does nothing either.  The only way to resolve is to power-down the Mac, then start up.  This has happened 2 times to me. 

Also, the images are NOT on my hard drive, but rather on a WD external.  I tried to replicate the problem with images on the hard drive and I could not get it to happen.  The only time the problem occurred was when using the WD external. 

Have you checked out your WD external drive with Apple's Disk Utility?  Are there any problems with the drive?  It sounds like the problem is happening deep within the OS (likely why you can't force quit PM.)

Since the problem doesn't happen when you perform transfers (copy/move) on your main hard drive, I suspect something is wrong with your WD external drive.

-Kirk

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 08:07:19 AM »

I checked all three WD drives that the problem is now occurring on with Disk Utility.  Seems to havE started only after WD Smartware was installed.

I have since uninstalled WD Smartware, bit this phenomenon is still happening. Any suggestions.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 08:12:08 AM »

I checked all three WD drives that the problem is now occurring on with Disk Utility.  Seems to havE started only after WD Smartware was installed.

I have since uninstalled WD Smartware, bit this phenomenon is still happening. Any suggestions.

Sounds like you need to contact Western Digital since it is their product.  Also, you should try the 4.6.4 beta version and see if it solves this issue.

-Kirk

Offline aknapik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
Kirk - I installed 4.6.4 - and it seems to have fixed the issue!!! 

-Andy

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:16:24 AM »
Andy,

Kirk - I installed 4.6.4 - and it seems to have fixed the issue!!! 

That's good to hear!

-Kirk