Author Topic: Another PM -> Lightroom Workflow Question  (Read 20636 times)

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Another PM -> Lightroom Workflow Question
« on: May 02, 2010, 08:48:14 PM »
I did a quick search on this forum, and I didn't find my question/answer.

I have a question about one specific step in the PM to Lightroom workflow. Let's say I took 1000 photos, and I selected 30 of them, and labelled them with a "blue" color tag. After you make your selects/picks in PM, what do you normally do to import *only* your "selects" into your Lightroom catalog? Do you...

• use PM to *move* those selects to a "To Be Developed" sub-folder, and then import that sub-folder in Lightroom
  • use PM to *copy* those selects to a "To Be Developed" sub-folder, and then import that sub-folder in Lightroom
  • do something else?

I'm not sure I like moving / copying my selects into a separate sub-folder. I think I'd rather keep my selects in the same folder. Is there a way to import only my "blue" tagged photos into Lightroom without moving/copying them into a separate folder?

Or...I see that Lightroom allows you to import *individual* photos into the catalog (ie. you can specifically select and import "image1", "image 5", "image 12", etc into the catalog). Is there a way I can get a list of my selected images in PM, and copy & paste that list into Lightroom's import dialog to import only those photos?

Thanks so much for your help.  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Another PM -> Lightroom Workflow Question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:14:38 PM »
I did a quick search on this forum, and I didn't find my question/answer.

I have a question about one specific step in the PM to Lightroom workflow. Let's say I took 1000 photos, and I selected 30 of them, and labelled them with a "blue" color tag. After you make your selects/picks in PM, what do you normally do to import *only* your "selects" into your Lightroom catalog? Do you...

• use PM to *move* those selects to a "To Be Developed" sub-folder, and then import that sub-folder in Lightroom
  • use PM to *copy* those selects to a "To Be Developed" sub-folder, and then import that sub-folder in Lightroom
  • do something else?

I'm not sure I like moving / copying my selects into a separate sub-folder. I think I'd rather keep my selects in the same folder. Is there a way to import only my "blue" tagged photos into Lightroom without moving/copying them into a separate folder?

Or...I see that Lightroom allows you to import *individual* photos into the catalog (ie. you can specifically select and import "image1", "image 5", "image 12", etc into the catalog). Is there a way I can get a list of my selected images in PM, and copy & paste that list into Lightroom's import dialog to import only those photos?

You should be able to reference the files in their current location. LR may still call this process importing, but the images should not have to be moved or copied anywhere.  Then once they're in LR, just select the blue ones.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:17:11 PM »
Or you can select the Blue Ones in PM and control/right click on the thumbnails and edit selected photos in LR.
LR import dialog should pop up and away you go...
Marc

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 10:52:55 PM »
Or you can select the Blue Ones in PM and control/right click on the thumbnails and edit selected photos in LR.

YES! This was the answer that worked for me! Thanks so much!

The only thing about this, though, is that if I have 30 blue-tagged photos in PM, and I click "Edit Selected Photos With LR", I have to go through the Lightroom import dialog 30 times to import each photo separately.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Just wanted to try some different fonts: glow, shadow, marquee

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 11:11:18 PM »

The only thing about this, though, is that if I have 30 blue-tagged photos in PM, and I click "Edit Selected Photos With LR", I have to go through the Lightroom import dialog 30 times to import each photo separately.

Any other thoughts?

I just wouldn't use that feature.  Try drag and drop, or just go to the folder containing the images via LR itself.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 03:20:32 AM »

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.

Just wanted to try some different fonts: glow, shadow, marquee

On Mac "Edit selected photos" works fine importing all selected into LR.
On the Win version of LR this group opening does not work properly thus it wants to import files one by one.

The Win way of workaround is to quit LR select your images in PM and drag them to the LR ikon. This way LR imports all selected ones. I think this is a bug/feature on behalf of Adobe/Windows.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline SouthBayPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:37:24 PM »
PMBoy,

All I do is drag and drop and it works perfectly.  LR2 never moves the files out of the current file folder, yet all of my IPTC data/crops/etc all stay with the files when they are "imported" (but not physically moved) into LR2.  It works perfectly for me.  Then once I do my edits in LR2, I then export them to wherever I want at whatever settings I want to use.

It's worked really well for me.  This way I can use PM to do my selects and edit my IPTC data (and even do my cropping), then just do a sort in PM to have it show just my selects (F3) (or have it select your "blue" files, in your case) and then just do a Control+A to select them all and then already have LR2 open and then just drag them into LR2 and drop them.  LR2 will open the familiar importing menu and away you go.

I haven't had an issue yet.  :)

Have a great day,
Mat G.

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:31:03 AM »
Just a quick update. I finally had another opportunity to take a whole bunch of photos, so I was finally able to try this out. Thanks sooooo much to everyone who suggested the drag-and-drop idea from PM into Lightroom. It worked exactly the way I was hoping, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again!  ;D

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 06:02:07 AM »
Lightroom 3  bta seems to complicate life a bit.
Drag and drop is now definitely the way to go.
Right clicking no longer clean and simple , even on a mac
Marc
Marc

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 01:59:09 AM »
Marc

For me this is clearly a point NOT To upgrade To LR3.
I played a bit with it on some images and I did not find any New good stuff (maybe because I only use it as an editor not a catalog, not a galley maker, nor a slideshow app, just an editor more comfortable than PS).
And now they change the easyness in opening files that had a flaw on Win anyway and now instead of rerpair they ruin what worked on the mac?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 05:22:45 AM »
LR3 quicker under the hood, new camera raw demosaic, perspective control will be in final.
Better sharpening...seems pretty good to me.
We digress...
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 06:47:13 AM »
Szurkebarat,

For me this is clearly a point NOT To upgrade To LR3.
I played a bit with it on some images and I did not find any New good stuff (maybe because I only use it as an editor not a catalog, not a galley maker, nor a slideshow app, just an editor more comfortable than PS).
And now they change the easyness in opening files that had a flaw on Win anyway and now instead of rerpair they ruin what worked on the mac?

Go to their support forums and complain about it.  Maybe they'll listen and improve things.  They may not even know there is an issue.

-Kirk

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 02:44:00 AM »
I have another PM & Lightroom question, and I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread for this new question or not...

Let's say I have 2000 photos already in a Lightroom catalog. But because it's so slow to use LR to make my selects, I decide to use PM to make my selects, and I label my selects using the color blue. Let's say that I select 10 random photos and label them "blue".

When I go back to Lightroom, the LR thumbnails automatically show a tiny icon that indicates "Metadata was changed externally". If I click on that icon, I can update the metadata for those 10 photos, and those photos are then labelled "blue" in LR.

My question is...is there a quick way in Lightroom to identify which photos I've selected & labelled "blue" in PM? Currently, I'd have to go through all 2000 thumbnails in Lightroom to see which 10 photos have that tiny icon. I'm trying to look for a quick way for Lightroom to show me those 10 photos whose "Metadata was changed externally".

(I guess this is more of a Lightroom question than a PM question)

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 08:54:14 AM »
I have another PM & Lightroom question, and I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to start a new thread for this new question or not...

Let's say I have 2000 photos already in a Lightroom catalog. But because it's so slow to use LR to make my selects, I decide to use PM to make my selects, and I label my selects using the color blue. Let's say that I select 10 random photos and label them "blue".

When I go back to Lightroom, the LR thumbnails automatically show a tiny icon that indicates "Metadata was changed externally". If I click on that icon, I can update the metadata for those 10 photos, and those photos are then labelled "blue" in LR.

My question is...is there a quick way in Lightroom to identify which photos I've selected & labelled "blue" in PM? Currently, I'd have to go through all 2000 thumbnails in Lightroom to see which 10 photos have that tiny icon. I'm trying to look for a quick way for Lightroom to show me those 10 photos whose "Metadata was changed externally".

(I guess this is more of a Lightroom question than a PM question)

I think I found the answer to my own question that I posted right above this a few hours ago.

In Lightroom, right-click the folder, and select "Synchronize Folder...".

In the pop-up menu, click the checkbox for "Scan for metadata updates".

It took about 1-2 minutes to scan through thousands of photos. But in the end, the blue-labelled photos from PM were automatically labelled blue in Lightroom.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:11:21 AM by pmboy »

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 01:46:22 PM »
Okay, I have yet another Lightroom / PM question.

Let's say I have both PM and Lightroom open on my computer. The PM contact sheet and the Lightroom catalog both show the exact same catalog of photos.

If I change the color class of a photo in Lightroom (ex. select color green for a photo), how do I get the label "green" to also show up in PM at the same time?

In Lightroom, I do have the "Automatically write changes to XMP" option already checked. I also made sure that the color classes in both PM and Lightroom are exactly the same.

Thanks again for all your help.  :)