Author Topic: Another PM -> Lightroom Workflow Question  (Read 20635 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Another PM -> Lightroom Workflow Question
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Okay, I have yet another Lightroom / PM question.

Let's say I have both PM and Lightroom open on my computer. The PM contact sheet and the Lightroom catalog both show the exact same catalog of photos.

If I change the color class of a photo in Lightroom (ex. select color green for a photo), how do I get the label "green" to also show up in PM at the same time?

In Lightroom, I do have the "Automatically write changes to XMP" option already checked. I also made sure that the color classes in both PM and Lightroom are exactly the same.

Thanks again for all your help.  :)

If Lightroom is really updating the files then all you should have to do is switch back to PM and the change should be visible.  If not, you can always use the 'Rescan' command in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 04:52:16 PM »
If Lightroom is really updating the files then all you should have to do is switch back to PM and the change should be visible.  If not, you can always use the 'Rescan' command in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Thanks for your help, Kirk. Even with your suggestion, I can't seem to make this work.

After changing the color label of 1 photo to "green" in Lightroom, I double-checked the metadata for the JPEG file in a separate program. The "green" label is indeed one of the XMP metadata values embedded in the JPEG file.

However, in Photo Mechanic, it doesn't seem to be updating the color label for me. I tried both the "Refresh" command and the "Rescan" command, but the color label doesn't change.

Oops...I forgot to mention that I had previously labelled the photo as "blue" in Photo Mechanic (which shows up in Lightroom), but then I went into Lightroom and changed the color label to "green". Would that make a difference?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 05:13:46 PM »

-Kirk

Thanks for your help, Kirk. Even with your suggestion, I can't seem to make this work.

After changing the color label of 1 photo to "green" in Lightroom, I double-checked the metadata for the JPEG file in a separate program. The "green" label is indeed one of the XMP metadata values embedded in the JPEG file.

However, in Photo Mechanic, it doesn't seem to be updating the color label for me. I tried both the "Refresh" command and the "Rescan" command, but the color label doesn't change.

Oops...I forgot to mention that I had previously labelled the photo as "blue" in Photo Mechanic (which shows up in Lightroom), but then I went into Lightroom and changed the color label to "green". Would that make a difference?

It's going to depend on your settings for IPTC/XMP and other file handling settings in Photo Mechanic.  The Photo Mechanic manual has pictures of settings known to work well with Adobe products.  I'd start there.  It sounds like to me that you may have PM setup to prefer IPTC over XMP data whereas you would want it the other way around.

-Kirk

Offline pmboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:05 PM »
It's going to depend on your settings for IPTC/XMP and other file handling settings in Photo Mechanic.  The Photo Mechanic manual has pictures of settings known to work well with Adobe products.  I'd start there.  It sounds like to me that you may have PM setup to prefer IPTC over XMP data whereas you would want it the other way around.

-Kirk

YES! This was the answer! Thanks so much, Kirk! I changed my preferences to read the embedded XMP before IPTC, and that's what worked. Now, the color label in PM changes within *seconds* after I change it in Lightroom!

Thanks again, Kirk!