Author Topic: Export as PDF (slideshow)?  (Read 7890 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
Export as PDF (slideshow)?
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:06:25 PM »
For some customers I use PDF as approval/select sheets.
Right now I use the export function of photoshop, after I have created watermarked photos (with filenumbering etc.) in PM.
It would be a unique workflow if you could just use PM for this.
E.g.:
Select photos > downsize to 1200x800 and 150dpi (or whatever you like) > add watermark > export as PDF slideshow

Possible?

Cheers,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Export as PDF (slideshow)?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:14:17 PM »
HM,

For some customers I use PDF as approval/select sheets.
Right now I use the export function of photoshop, after I have created watermarked photos (with filenumbering etc.) in PM.
It would be a unique workflow if you could just use PM for this.
E.g.:
Select photos > downsize to 1200x800 and 150dpi (or whatever you like) > add watermark > export as PDF slideshow

Sure, it could be written.  Especially on the Mac.  On Windows, we would have to license a very expensive library, though if the feature addition caused a reasonable increase in sales, then it could justify the expense of the license.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 04:05:38 PM »
I'm on a Mac. Please add it!!!

Offline Giles

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 06:48:10 AM »
For what it’s worth, here’s a possible solution on the Windows Platform.  I use a freeware PDF print driver that I found at:

http://www.pdf995.com/

This allows you to ‘print’ a document from ANY windows application to a PDF file.  I then email the resulting contact sheet in PDF format to my customers.

Offline ddegab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:45:08 PM »

Have you tried just saving this step as a droplet and then select whatever files in PM and run the droplet?

I have a bunch of droplets that run actions right from within PM.
Dale

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 03:28:52 PM »

Have you tried just saving this step as a droplet and then select whatever files in PM and run the droplet?

I have a bunch of droplets that run actions right from within PM.
Dale

Could you explain how this works? I'm not familiar with droplets yet.
Thanks a lot,
HM

Offline ddegab

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:19:38 PM »
Easy, a droplet is nothing more than an automated action.

Step 1- you have to create the action. In Photoshop create a new action with all the steps you want to achieve (fit image to 1200x1200 > 150dpi (or whatever you like) > add watermark > export as PDF, ect) and save the action.

Step 2 is to create the droplet. On a mac, go to:  File > Automate > Create Droplet. In the first menu, "Choose" a name for the droplet and save in a favorite spot. I put mine in a folder called: Production > Droplets. This folder always stays in the same place, so if you change it, then you have to tell PM where it is again.

Step 3, "Play," you select the action you created in Step 1. Depending on how you run color management, you can check the boxes for suppressing open and profile warnings.

Step 4, "Destination" folder for the resulting droplet that you are creating. It is a good idea to create some destination folders and leave them in one spot on your drive so they will be easy to find. In my case, I have in my production folder, folders for: tifs, psd, jpg, web, etc. Click OK and your done.

Final step is to tell PM where your droplet folder is. In PM open the Preferences > Launching > Photoshop Droplets Location... and you are done.

Now when you have your contact sheet open in PM and you have selected whatever images, just go to the menu Image > Send Photos to Droplet > your droplet... and PS will run the action (droplet) and put your resulting files in your predefined "Destination" folder.

Dale

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:39 PM »
Thanks for that explanation. I will have to look at it and give it a try.