Author Topic: Capture time wrong in saved files  (Read 3801 times)

Offline nmf

• View Profile
Capture time wrong in saved files
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
I noticed a couple of days ago that when I save files from a contact sheet (eg to resize or compress files) that the "Time and Date" are reset to that of when I am doing the save rather than retain the original Capture Time. Attempting to change the value via the drop down menu in the saved files IPTC does not work as the new time is shown as the "Capture Time". Using "Adjust Dates and Capture Times" is of no use in correcting the information as the new times are not derived from the original capture time.

I've looked through Preferences to see if the solution is in there but the only potentially relevant field I can find is the "IPTC Info Date and Time uses :" which is already set to Capture Time.

The problem only occurs when using the "Save Photos As..." function. Copy and Move do not cause the information to change.

Does anybody have any ideas as to the cause of this problem please ?

I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.8 and PhotoMechanic 4.6.3

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Capture time wrong in saved files
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:36:39 PM »
I noticed a couple of days ago that when I save files from a contact sheet (eg to resize or compress files) that the "Time and Date" are reset to that of when I am doing the save rather than retain the original Capture Time. Attempting to change the value via the drop down menu in the saved files IPTC does not work as the new time is shown as the "Capture Time". Using "Adjust Dates and Capture Times" is of no use in correcting the information as the new times are not derived from the original capture time.

I've looked through Preferences to see if the solution is in there but the only potentially relevant field I can find is the "IPTC Info Date and Time uses :" which is already set to Capture Time.

The problem only occurs when using the "Save Photos As..." function. Copy and Move do not cause the information to change.

Does anybody have any ideas as to the cause of this problem please ?

I'm using Mac OSX 10.5.8 and PhotoMechanic 4.6.3

I'm not sure I understand what 'Time and Date' means?  In what application are you seeing the 'Time and Date'?  Are you looking at the creation date of the file in the Finder?

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:46:08 PM »
When you save as, do you have it keep the embedded exif data (that's where the capture datetime is)?

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

-->> I'm not sure I understand what 'Time and Date' means?  In what application are you seeing the 'Time and Date'?

About halfway down the IPTC Stationary Pad / Caption dialog for the saved image there is a field "Time and Date". You have provided a drop down menu for this to include 'Date', 'Capture Time' and so forth but changing these does not give the option of setting the original date and time.

-->> When you save as, do you have it keep the embedded exif data (that's where the capture datetime is)?

No I don't so I guess this could be the cause and a quick test has certainly shown it does resolve the issue.

However I do set the Stationary Pad details for the Capture Time when I am doing the original work on the file such as editing and selecting and have always thought this was part of what was then embedded. I for one would much prefer that my chosen date and time option were retained as I have the option to change them for whatever reason via PhotoMechanic. Whilst your explanation makes sense, and as I have written seems to offer a solution, it does appear odd that not embedding the EXIF data at a later point can change the details in a field in the caption dialog.

To make it clear these files, from 1D MkII, 1DMIIN and 5DMkII (eg so different models), have satisfactorily been ingested, captioned, renamed, edited in Photoshop and then the caption and filename details been completed. Up to this point the details are correct. It is when I attempt to resave them that the problem occurs.