Author Topic: What PM does not do  (Read 7844 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
What PM does not do
« on: May 05, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »
Kirk,
One of the first things I learned about PM is that it is not this, it is not that,etc. etc.
Now what surprises me is that several softwares that used to stick to picture edition are doing what PM does (like sorting, renaming, viewing, tagging, etc), although not so fast or well...
My question is:
Is it possible in the near future that PM include some basic editing features (like DPP for instance)
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What PM does not do
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »
Luiz,

One of the first things I learned about PM is that it is not this, it is not that,etc. etc.
Now what surprises me is that several softwares that used to stick to picture edition are doing what PM does (like sorting, renaming, viewing, tagging, etc), although not so fast or well...
My question is:
Is it possible in the near future that PM include some basic editing features (like DPP for instance)

We may add some simple adjustment capabilities in the future.  Near future?  I don't know yet.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »
The lack of image adjustment capability in PM is one of many things I like about it! I use Photoshop for image editing and don't need any of the capability cluttering up my image browsing software.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
Ditto ... what John said!

sidewinder

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:01:16 PM »
Ditto ... what John said!
I agree too....but be careful guys. I once suggested the same thing [PM should stay focused on what it does now] and almost got reamed a knew one by other members here for such heresy!

Scott

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 03:19:31 AM »
I too am an advocate for the "Keep PM focussed on what it does now" (cataloguing, I count amongst this). PM should not become the do-it-all tool (there's always lightroom if you want that). That said, some really basic editing capabilities could perhaps be implemented without jeopardizing the core functionality. Some of them could even be helpful in this respect. For instance, I can see cropping/rotating as a good addition. Simple, no-options B&W conversions (e.g. desaturation) could be another one. I can see both as actually supporting the process of culling/selecting images, amongst others.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
It would seem to me that any time you start re-rendering the files, things will slow down.....
Perhaps there could be plug ins for those who must have some editing...
BUT lets not distract from the launch of the cataloging 'module' (or whatever it will be....)
Marc
Marc

Offline jwvaughn

• Retired programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:29:45 PM »
If I wanted to use a "feature rich" application, I would use Bridge/Photoshop.  I like PM because it is so good at what it does - import new files from cards, add IPTC info, maybe review to dump the clunkers and be on my way. I may or may not geotag during that process.

I do understand that work flows differ and can understand how some simple editing capabilities could be useful but doubt the impact on the simplicity and speed of PM by adding them is worth it.

Jerry

Offline foyle3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 01:14:16 AM »
4.6.4 (installed yesterday) is going like a rocket - don't clog it up with promises of world domination and immortality - like some programmes we could all mention.