Author Topic: Support for Phase One IIQ files  (Read 18022 times)

Offline billbunton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Support for Phase One IIQ files
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:53:55 AM »
Any chance of getting support for Phase One IIQ files added?  I know PM will handle them if I set the back to use the .TIF extension, but that presents its own problems (such as all the metadata being embedded rather than appearing in an XMP sidecar).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Support for Phase One IIQ files
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:31:53 AM »
Any chance of getting support for Phase One IIQ files added?  I know PM will handle them if I set the back to use the .TIF extension, but that presents its own problems (such as all the metadata being embedded rather than appearing in an XMP sidecar).

Having some sample files would be useful.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline sgeyer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:19:43 PM »
Hi there,

I just wanted to check if there are any news regarding support of Phase One IIQ files.

I'm using Photo Mechanic on all shoots and it saves me a lot of time and trouble, thanks for the great software. But many photographers are using Phase One digi backs and are recording IIQ files. It would be great to handle them with PM as well.

I can supply sample files or any other info if necessary.

Regards,
Stefan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
Stefan,

I just wanted to check if there are any news regarding support of Phase One IIQ files.

I'm using Photo Mechanic on all shoots and it saves me a lot of time and trouble, thanks for the great software. But many photographers are using Phase One digi backs and are recording IIQ files. It would be great to handle them with PM as well.

I can supply sample files or any other info if necessary.

I don't think we ever did receive any sample files.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline billbunton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:16:29 AM »
I sent you a couple per the original request.  I'll be happy to send a couple more if you want.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:29:26 AM »
I sent you a couple per the original request.  I'll be happy to send a couple more if you want.

What were the filenames?

-Kirk

Offline billbunton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »
Should be WGB1.IIQ, WGB2.IIQ and WGB3.IIQ.  All are P40+ files, with WGB2.IIQ being a binned sensor+ (10mp) file and the other two being full 40mp resolution.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:18:11 PM »
Bill,

Should be WGB1.IIQ, WGB2.IIQ and WGB3.IIQ.  All are P40+ files, with WGB2.IIQ being a binned sensor+ (10mp) file and the other two being full 40mp resolution.

Got the files.  They only have a 304x220 preview image in them.  PM won't be able to preview them.  Do you still feel it's worth the effort?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 06:57:23 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline sgeyer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the quick investigation. In my case the PM support for IIQ files would still make sense, even if the previews are very small. PM is much quicker than Phase One Capture One and I would only be needing the contact sheet for a quick overview of the images in the folder.

Please let me know if its worth the effort.

To support the growing customer base of Phase One, I would also be looking into supporting the EIP format. That's the Phase One flavor of packaging the image, settings, and preview into a zip file...

Thank you,
Stefan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
Stefan,

Thanks for the quick investigation. In my case the PM support for IIQ files would still make sense, even if the previews are very small. PM is much quicker than Phase One Capture One and I would only be needing the contact sheet for a quick overview of the images in the folder.

Possibly in a later version.

Quote from: sgeyer
To support the growing customer base of Phase One, I would also be looking into supporting the EIP format. That's the Phase One flavor of packaging the image, settings, and preview into a zip file...

Having an example file would be helpful.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline billbunton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »
Bill,

Got the files.  They only have a 304x220 preview image in them.  PM won't be able to preview them.  Do you still feel it's worth the effort?

Sorry I didn't reply, I never saw this in my RSS feeds!  For me personally it would still be worth the effort, as I prefer to use PM to ingest, add keywords, and add GPS info.  Capture One and LR are the only things I've found that actually generate their own full-size preview, so with anything else I'm stuck with the small preview anyway.

Offline baxterbradford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:15:53 PM »
I see that this thread, although old has been viewed over 2200 times. Possibly from people such as myself finding it from a Google search. That indicates a lot of interest. I have 3 years worth of shooting on a Phase One back that I'd like to keyword for submission to an image library. PM was brought to my attention last week due to the deficiencies in Media Pro being unable to import a Hierarchical Keyword list to support my task. Having read tutorials, I am impressed, but frustrated having discovered the lack of support for IIQ files.

Phase One continue to be pre-eminent in MF digital backs still using the IIQ format for their backs. Realistically Hasselblad are on the wane. Phase One have said to me in response to a support request for the above issue that they are not developing Media Pro because they are concentrating on building functionality into Capture One. This must present itself as a business opportunity for PM to win over disgruntle and frustrated iView/EM2/Media Pro users.

The small preview size isn't an issue as far as I am concerned for the keywording and addition of other metadata. Would it be possible to give at least a restricted capability for IIQ files? Obviously I'd love full functionality, but happy to compromise.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:13:55 PM »
The next build of Photo Mechanic will have support for Phase One IIQ RAW files.  From the release notes:

√ Added support for PhaseOne IIQ RAW files

The new build should be released soon.

-Kirk

Offline baxterbradford

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »
That's fantastic news Kirk.

Much relief here, I'd been devising a hybrid way of using PM to create some files and then append keywords via Bridge to the IIQ files. I can easily concentrate on my NEF and film scanned images until the new build is released.

Offline eraserhead

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 05:37:03 AM »
That is great news!! I realize if you could say when it would be released you would have, but are we talking in the next couple months...6months... year. I am racking up a lot of IIQ files that need to be catalogued and sorted and have to decide whether to wait or improvise my workflow. Workflow here is very complicated. I look forward to being able to use photo mechanic for all my files.