Author Topic: Quick Search  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Wiegele

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Quick Search
« on: August 24, 2006, 01:48:48 PM »
When I use the Quick Search to access a selection of my images, if often produces muliple copies of the same image, eventhough there is only 1 version of the image on the harddrive.  Sometimes, it will show 3 copies, or 10 copies.
Why is this and how can I make it only show 1 copy of the image to reduce time?
Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Quick Search
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 02:17:59 PM »
When I use the Quick Search to access a selection of my images, if often produces muliple copies of the same image, eventhough there is only 1 version of the image on the harddrive.  Sometimes, it will show 3 copies, or 10 copies.
Why is this and how can I make it only show 1 copy of the image to reduce time?
Thank you.

The Quick Search uses Spotlight.  Spotlight finds files in just about any place a file is saved.  I'll bet you really do have multiple copies of some of your images.  Here is how you can tell: Control-click on one of the duplicates and choose Reveal in Finder.  Make note of where it is.  Repeat this for the other duplicates.  Are they in different folders?

As for limiting the search, there is really no way to do it that I know of.  Spotlight can be told to only find matches in a particular folder, and that could help limit the results.

-Kirk