Author Topic: Default email program  (Read 3910 times)

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
Default email program
« on: May 07, 2010, 01:03:52 AM »
Recently PM crashed and tried to send an automatic email to Camerabits. It failed and claimed I did not have a default email program. I do and it works with IE 8. I think the issue is that it is not Outlook.
Anyone know of a cure just in case PM crashes again?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Default email program
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:31:03 AM »
Jon,

Recently PM crashed and tried to send an automatic email to Camerabits. It failed and claimed I did not have a default email program. I do and it works with IE 8. I think the issue is that it is not Outlook.
Anyone know of a cure just in case PM crashes again?

No, web-based email cannot be controlled by Photo Mechanic's crash reporter.  Sending in crash reports is optional anyway.  You don't have to send them in if you don't want to.

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:29:40 AM »
Sorry, I didn't explain fully. IE8, Firefox and Opera when you click an email link open my email program (Pegasus) correctly. It is not a web based email.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 07:12:32 AM »
Have you installed MAPI support for Pegasus? I am not familiar with Pegasus Mail, if it supports MAPI or not, but you should try looking inside its settings for that. Even so, MAPI on Windows is often a headache...

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:06:30 AM »
Yes, but have no idea how to test if it is working as Pegasus is getting less and less compatible with windows as times goes on.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 09:26:15 AM »
Jon,

Yes, but have no idea how to test if it is working as Pegasus is getting less and less compatible with windows as times goes on.

I suggest installing an email client that does support MAPI and only use it for sending photos from PM.  You don't need to use it all of the time.

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 09:50:46 AM »
I cannot find out how to associate PM with a specific email client rather that the deafult and I want to keep Pegasus as default. I don't mind manually sending crash files to PM but wondered if there was a way to fix the problem.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 11:02:50 AM »
I cannot find out how to associate PM with a specific email client rather that the deafult and I want to keep Pegasus as default. I don't mind manually sending crash files to PM but wondered if there was a way to fix the problem.

PM just works with the default MAPI client.  Since Pegasus is not a MAPI client, you can keep it as your email application, and install a MAPI-capable email client like Outlook and make it the default MAPI client.  This should not change your default mail application.

I take it you never send photos via email from Photo Mechanic?

-Kirk

Offline jonmcg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:29:06 AM »
I will stick with emailing crash reports manually as I have had only one I do not expect it to be a big issue. You are correct I do not use PM to send emails.