Author Topic: Rename with substrings  (Read 5197 times)

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rename with substrings
« on: August 25, 2006, 05:29:49 AM »
I might have more than one version of the same photo I have saved in the same Photoshop folder and distinguished them via filename; e.g., 20060820_001_Vacation.tif and 20060820_001_Vacation_B&W.tif for a black and white conversion.  Let's also say the folder contains all ..._Vacation.tif files; e.g., 20060820_002_Vacation.tif, ...

I've read the DAM book and am toying with the idea of using a different naming convention.  To complicate matters even more, let's say I have deleted some files.  I would like to keep parts of the original filenames.  I would assume that the sequence number would no longer be accessible, unless filename substrings could be used.  I havn't run across that capability in PM.

What are your thoughts on how to approach these issues?  Also, I have {filename} as the Object Name.  If I rename, will the Object Name be replaced with the new name?  (Perhaps I am approaching this in the wrong way.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rename with substrings
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »
I might have more than one version of the same photo I have saved in the same Photoshop folder and distinguished them via filename; e.g., 20060820_001_Vacation.tif and 20060820_001_Vacation_B&W.tif for a black and white conversion.  Let's also say the folder contains all ..._Vacation.tif files; e.g., 20060820_002_Vacation.tif, ...

I've read the DAM book and am toying with the idea of using a different naming convention.  To complicate matters even more, let's say I have deleted some files.  I would like to keep parts of the original filenames.  I would assume that the sequence number would no longer be accessible, unless filename substrings could be used.  I havn't run across that capability in PM.

We don't have any substring extraction, though I have been thinking of adding such capability for some time now.

Quote from: RichB
What are your thoughts on how to approach these issues?

Maybe you could start the sequence number over again, and just generate entirely new names?

Quote from: RichB
Also, I have {filename} as the Object Name.  If I rename, will the Object Name be replaced with the new name?  (Perhaps I am approaching this in the wrong way.)

It sounds like you're talking about the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Unless you reapply the IPTC Stationery Pad, your Object Name fields will not change to the new name.  Renaming does not apply IPTC Stationery.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 10:20:36 AM »
It sounds like you're talking about the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Unless you reapply the IPTC Stationery Pad, your Object Name fields will not change to the new name.  Renaming does not apply IPTC Stationery.

I ran a little test and am getting results I didn't expect.  In my "Set Info Text" list, I added {file}.  I then renamed the file via Windows Explorer and refreshed the folder in PM.  I then moved the cursor over the file I changed and the new filename displayed.  I have a feeling I am mixing apples and oranges.  If I rename, what do I have to do to store the new {filename} in the IPTC Object Name field I am using?  What is the easiest way?

Thanks,
Rich

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »
Rich,

I ran a little test and am getting results I didn't expect.  In my "Set Info Text" list, I added {file}.  I then renamed the file via Windows Explorer and refreshed the folder in PM.  I then moved the cursor over the file I changed and the new filename displayed.  I have a feeling I am mixing apples and oranges.  If I rename, what do I have to do to store the new {filename} in the IPTC Object Name field I am using?  What is the easiest way?

Select all of the photos that you have renamed.  Put the variable {filename} into the IPTC Stationery Pad's Object Name field.  Make sure the checkbox to the left of the field is checked.  Uncheck all other fields.  Apply the IPTC Stationery.

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline RichB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:36:10 AM »
Select all of the photos that you have renamed.  Put the variable {filename} into the IPTC Stationery Pad's Object Name field.  Make sure the checkbox to the left of the field is checked.  Uncheck all other fields.  Apply the IPTC Stationery.

No, that won't work ... too easy.  (Like a lot of the functionality in PM!) VBSEG

Thanks,
Rich