Author Topic: Support for Leica M9 DNG files?  (Read 26493 times)

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
Support for Leica M9 DNG files?
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
Will there be support for Leica M9 DNG files? If so, can the previews be full-screen?  Thank you!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Support for Leica M9 DNG files?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:55:42 PM »
Will there be support for Leica M9 DNG files? If so, can the previews be full-screen?  Thank you!

If the Leica M9 would put large previews in the DNG files they produce then yes, they would work fine.  It is my understanding that the M9 does not put a large preview in the DNG files it produces.

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »

The M9 has a small preview. I select "Preferences -> RAW -> Enable RAW Rendering (Using Apple's ImageIO", and all work.

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:49 AM »
Jose, are you using the current version of Photo Mechanic?  I am using Photo Mechanic 4.5.4 and that doesn't work with M9 files.  Sounds like I need to update.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:42:44 AM »
Jose, are you using the current version of Photo Mechanic?  I am using Photo Mechanic 4.5.4 and that doesn't work with M9 files.  Sounds like I need to update.  Thanks.

It is likely an issue with the version of Apple's ImageIO framework installed on your system.  Apple only updates ImageIO if you upgrade your OS, or you have iPhoto or Aperture installed on your system.  Just having an application like Photo Mechanic (which uses ImageIO) on your system isn't enough for you to receive updates to ImageIO.  It's definitely something we're not happy with.

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 10:46:50 AM »
OK, thanks.  I am still using OS X 10.5.8.  I do have iPhoto, but not Aperture.  I tried Snow Leopard, but had serious crashes with it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
OK, thanks.  I am still using OS X 10.5.8.  I do have iPhoto, but not Aperture.  I tried Snow Leopard, but had serious crashes with it.

So to test, see if you can open your image in Preview.  If it opens and shows a high resolution image, then your system's version of ImageIO can render your files and so should Photo Mechanic.

Let me know if that's not true.

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »

ZiatkoB,

I'm using PM 4.6.3 (and for testing, the last beta PM 4.6.4) with Snow Leopard 10.6.3, and yes, installed other programs as Aperture 3.0.3, etc...

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 01:24:01 PM »
So to test, see if you can open your image in Preview.  If it opens and shows a high resolution image, then your system's version of ImageIO can render your files and so should Photo Mechanic.
Yes, I can open M9 images in Preview.app.  They open instantly as high resolution images.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
Yes, I can open M9 images in Preview.app.  They open instantly as high resolution images.

And they don't open in PM with RAW rendering turned on?

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
That's correct.  They don't open in PM with raw rendering turned on.  They don't enlarge (or do anything) when I double-click on them in the thumbnail view. 

If I open the full-screen view by double clicking on a jpeg or another camera's raw file first, and then advance to an M9 raw file, the M9 raw file appears jagged until I click the Zoom check box to "1" (i.e. 100%") and then it shows a very small preview, presumably the one created by the camera.

Keep in mind that I'm using PM 4.5.4 from 2008, and the camera was introduced in late 2009, so perhaps that makes the difference.  I plan to update to the current PM at some point, but I don't know whether that will make a difference for this particular camera.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:25:55 PM by ZlatkoB »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »
That's correct.  They don't open in PM with raw rendering turned on.  They don't enlarge (or do anything) when I double-click on them in the thumbnail view. 

If I open the full-screen view by double clicking on a jpeg or another camera's raw file first, and then advance to an M9 raw file, the M9 raw file appears jagged until I click the Zoom check box to "1" (i.e. 100%") and then it shows a very small preview, presumably the one created by the camera.

Keep in mind that I'm using PM 4.5.4 from 2008, and the camera was introduced in late 2009, so perhaps that makes the difference.  I plan to update to the current PM at some point, but I don't know whether that will make a difference for this particular camera.

Download a demo version of PM 4.6.4 (well really just get a demo code from our website and then get the 4.6.4 beta from the Announcements section of the forums) and see if it works for you.  If it doesn't then it would be great to get a sample image from you so we can test with it.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline ZlatkoB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • ZlatkoBatistich.com
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:40:56 PM »
OK, problem solved!  Everything works perfectly in the 4.6.4 beta.  :-)   Thank you!!

Offline Mark S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 06:10:34 PM »
Would it be possible to do something similar in Windows version of PhotoMechanic using the "Windows Imaging Component" for an on-the-fly RAW conversion? This works quite well in Expression Media 2 with my Leica M8 DNG files (Win7 - 32bit).

Mark   
-- Mark --

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 09:39:06 PM »
Mark,

Would it be possible to do something similar in Windows version of PhotoMechanic using the "Windows Imaging Component" for an on-the-fly RAW conversion? This works quite well in Expression Media 2 with my Leica M8 DNG files (Win7 - 32bit).

Possibly.  There haven't been many people requesting we use the WIC in Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk