Author Topic: Zenfolio Uploader and Categories  (Read 6518 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Zenfolio Uploader and Categories
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:37:57 AM »
I am using PM 4.6.4 in Win Vista 64 SP2. I have my images on Zenfolio (www.mickklass.zenfolio.com) and use the PM uploader to get them there.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do I get the Zenfolio accepted categories, subcategories and sun-category detail into PM so I can properly tag the images before uploading?

Thanks.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Zenfolio Uploader and Categories
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »
Mick,

I am using PM 4.6.4 in Win Vista 64 SP2. I have my images on Zenfolio (www.mickklass.zenfolio.com) and use the PM uploader to get them there.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do I get the Zenfolio accepted categories, subcategories and sun-category detail into PM so I can properly tag the images before uploading?

I am completely unfamiliar with what you're talking about.  Perhaps if you were to explain in detail what those items are and where they appear in Zenfolio I may be able to figure something out.  If they're Zenfolio-specific fields that aren't gathered from IPTC or XMP fields, then there is going to be no way for you to preset that information in PM prior to uploading.  It will have to be done on the Zenfolio end after the images are uploaded.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
Kirk,

If you go to a Zenfolio gallery where you are the user, select an image, and look at the photo info tab, there are items for category, sub-category and category detail. (This is the  same tab that has the title, caption, copyright and keyword info that Zenfolio takes from the images IPTC info when it is uploaded. ) It looks to me like they have their own preset set of values for these fields, sort of like structured keywords. These are used for searching and SEO.

If a visitor is looking at an image, and the fields have been field in, the information will show up under Categories and Keywords in teh Photo INfo tab of an image. Here's an example:http://mickklass.zenfolio.com/p14469086/h31638d2f?customize=2#h31638d2f

Zenfolio isn't picking up the category IPTC  info when I upload an image. This info needs to be entered for each individual image. It would be great if it did get it from the IPTC info, instead of having to enter it one-by- one in Zenfolio.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:02:12 AM »
Mick,

If you go to a Zenfolio gallery where you are the user, select an image, and look at the photo info tab, there are items for category, sub-category and category detail. (This is the  same tab that has the title, caption, copyright and keyword info that Zenfolio takes from the images IPTC info when it is uploaded. ) It looks to me like they have their own preset set of values for these fields, sort of like structured keywords. These are used for searching and SEO.

If a visitor is looking at an image, and the fields have been field in, the information will show up under Categories and Keywords in teh Photo INfo tab of an image. Here's an example:http://mickklass.zenfolio.com/p14469086/h31638d2f?customize=2#h31638d2f

Zenfolio isn't picking up the category IPTC  info when I upload an image. This info needs to be entered for each individual image. It would be great if it did get it from the IPTC info, instead of having to enter it one-by- one in Zenfolio.

I suggest contacting the Zenfolio folks and ask them if they could use the Category and Sub-Category IPTC data from the images that are uploaded.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:44 AM »
Kirk:

I've got a message into them.

Mick

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:48:04 PM »
According to Zenfolio, it can't be done.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »
Mick,

According to Zenfolio, it can't be done.

Sorry to hear that.

-Kirk