Author Topic: E Mailing Files  (Read 15852 times)

Offline Steve F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
E Mailing Files
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
I hope someone can help me with this-I am unable to email files through PM4.6.3  I get an error message. My computer is set up to use Thunderbird as my mailing program is this incompatible with PM ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: E Mailing Files
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »
Steve,

I hope someone can help me with this-I am unable to email files through PM4.6.3  I get an error message. My computer is set up to use Thunderbird as my mailing program is this incompatible with PM ?

If you're on Mac OS X, then Thunderbird is not supported at all.

If you're on Windows: Have you set it to be the default MAPI client?  It is my understanding that the newer versions of Thunderbird support enough of the MAPI system to work with Photo Mechanic.  Do you have a recent version?

-Kirk

Offline Steve F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:58:16 PM »
I am on a Mac 10.5.8 and running the latest version of Thunderbird  2.0.0.24 (20100228)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »
I am on a Mac 10.5.8 and running the latest version of Thunderbird  2.0.0.24 (20100228)

Thunderbird does not provide a suitable AppleScript scripting interface so PM cannot control it to send email.  You can always setup the built-in Mail.app just for sending email and use it from Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »
You can always setup the built-in Mail.app just for sending email and use it from Photo Mechanic.

That's exactly what I've done for those (rare) cases I use PM to email images directly (as well as some other rare uses by the way).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »
I've had the same problem and I decided to switch to Mail because I generally prefer to send photos directly from PM.
Now, some people I have sent files to said they cannot save them all at a time (especially when using gmail) because the pictures are embedded in the text rather than attached to the message. Can anyone help me understand what is happening?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
Luiz,

I've had the same problem and I decided to switch to Mail because I generally prefer to send photos directly from PM.
Now, some people I have sent files to said they cannot save them all at a time (especially when using gmail) because the pictures are embedded in the text rather than attached to the message. Can anyone help me understand what is happening?

Try changing your Mail preferences to use Plain Text when composing.  If you use Rich Text then the email will be in HTML format with embedded images.  I haven't tested it, but I think Plain Text will do it.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:39 PM »
Kirk,
I've followed your suggestion and it does not seem to work.
What I have noticed so far is that people who use webmail (gmail, for instance) are able to download the files if I open Mail and attach them manually. Now, if I ask PM to send the selected photos by mail, then they don't have the option to download the files.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
Luiz,

I've followed your suggestion and it does not seem to work.
What I have noticed so far is that people who use webmail (gmail, for instance) are able to download the files if I open Mail and attach them manually. Now, if I ask PM to send the selected photos by mail, then they don't have the option to download the files.

When you attach them manually, are you using the setting that says 'Windows-friendly attachments'?

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
Kirk,

Sorry for the delay in the answer.
YES, exactly that. I use the setting that says 'Windows-friendly attachements'.

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:28:01 PM »
Luiz,

Sorry for the delay in the answer.
YES, exactly that. I use the setting that says 'Windows-friendly attachements'.

OK, I'll check to see if there is some way to get the Mail app to make the attachments be Windows-friendly via AppleScript.

EDIT: There appears to be no way to make attachments be 'Windows-friendly' via AppleScript.  But you can go to the Edit->Attachments-> sub menu and set the 'Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments' menu item to the checked state.  Perhaps that would help.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 06:07:49 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »

EDIT: There appears to be no way to make attachments be 'Windows-friendly' via AppleScript.  But you can go to the Edit->Attachments-> sub menu and set the 'Always Send Windows Friendly Attachments' menu item to the checked state.  Perhaps that would help.

-Kirk

Kirk,
This menu item IS checked. So, the question would be...why it does not work when using PM to start Mail (via AppleScript)?

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »
Luiz,

This menu item IS checked. So, the question would be...why it does not work when using PM to start Mail (via AppleScript)?

I have no idea why it doesn't work when controlled via AppleScript.  I can tell you that the AppleScript interface to Mail (at least on my development system) does not provide any way to set whether or not the attachments are Windows-friendly.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 07:11:53 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »
Kirk,
Thanks anyway for your help.
I surely would rather select the pics in PM and use the Send Photos via email option than opening Mail and selecting through Finder, but if it is not possible...
I don't know how other people do (perhaps they don't use Mail).

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:56:20 AM »
Hi,

sometimes I have the same problem. My agency tells me that my photos are enclosed in the text. All the effort for nothing! I sent them directly from Mail the second time. And then they were right. I don't remember now if it happens all the time, but it happened quite a few times.

John