Author Topic: Find versus Search  (Read 3710 times)

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
Find versus Search
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:25:24 AM »
Kirk,
In a previous post, you mentioned searching for images on an entire filesystem - and supposedly opening results in a new contact sheet - as opposed to finding [Edit/Find] a specific image in a contact sheet already open. 

<SNIP>
What you'll want to do is either use the Find panel (Command-F) or the Search panel (Command-Option-F), which one you'll use depends on if you only want to search in the current Contact Sheet (use Find) or if you want to search your entire filesystem (use Search).
<SNIP>
If you want to search your entire filesystem then use the Search panel.  Change the popup menu on the first search criteria to "Caption" if it isn't already set.  Then change the second popup menu to "Contains", and then enter: California into the text field.  Then click on the Search button.

Am I right to assume PM does not do system-wide IPTC searches, say on external HD archive, but relies on Mac/Win utilities for this?  I'd love to hear your prefered workflow for creating Client-specific folders for stock image pulls.

Regards,
Craig
(PM 4.4.3.2; XP/sp2)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Find versus Search
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:33:41 AM »
Craig,

In a previous post, you mentioned searching for images on an entire filesystem - and supposedly opening results in a new contact sheet - as opposed to finding [Edit/Find] a specific image in a contact sheet already open. 

<SNIP>
What you'll want to do is either use the Find panel (Command-F) or the Search panel (Command-Option-F), which one you'll use depends on if you only want to search in the current Contact Sheet (use Find) or if you want to search your entire filesystem (use Search).
<SNIP>
If you want to search your entire filesystem then use the Search panel.  Change the popup menu on the first search criteria to "Caption" if it isn't already set.  Then change the second popup menu to "Contains", and then enter: California into the text field.  Then click on the Search button.

Am I right to assume PM does not do system-wide IPTC searches, say on external HD archive, but relies on Mac/Win utilities for this?
(PM 4.4.3.2; XP/sp2)

We use "Spotlight" on Mac OS X 10.4.x to do our searches.  It is fully integrated into Photo Mechanic.  What we use is an API, not a utility or a tool.  There is no such system-wide search facility in Microsoft's current OS offerings, thus we don't have that feature in Photo Mechanic for Windows XP and 2000.  Vista is supposed to add such a feature, and once it is mature we will add a search in Photo Mechanic for Windows Vista.

Quote from: craig pulsifer
I'd love to hear your prefered workflow for creating Client-specific folders for stock image pulls.

Maybe you could explain further what you mean by this?  Generally people use a cataloging application to quickly find images by keyword, or other metadata.

-Kirk