Author Topic: Rating Photos Slows Performance  (Read 4671 times)

Offline brianw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rating Photos Slows Performance
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
I'm having some performance problems with PM when compared to previous versions. I'm using version 4.6.3 on an Imac 2ghz intel core 2 duo with 4gb of ram. I tried 4.6.4 and am having the same problems. Even in small folders of RAW CR2 files it takes quite a long time to generate the thumbnails. The bigger problem for me though is the long time it takes to rate individual photos - as long as 5 seconds per file. Moving through the files individually goes quickly unless a file is rated - that is when I get the spinning beach ball, around 5 seconds every time. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rating Photos Slows Performance
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »
I'm having some performance problems with PM when compared to previous versions. I'm using version 4.6.3 on an Imac 2ghz intel core 2 duo with 4gb of ram. I tried 4.6.4 and am having the same problems. Even in small folders of RAW CR2 files it takes quite a long time to generate the thumbnails. The bigger problem for me though is the long time it takes to rate individual photos - as long as 5 seconds per file. Moving through the files individually goes quickly unless a file is rated - that is when I get the spinning beach ball, around 5 seconds every time. Thanks.

If you've instructed PM to render RAW files instead of using the embedded JPEG previews this is common.  Turn off RAW rendering.

-Kirk

Offline brianw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »
I checked that and previews are created with embedded jpegs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
I checked that and previews are created with embedded jpegs.

Are you using XMP sidecar files or are you embedding metadata?  Where are the photos stored?  On the card?  On your internal hard drive?  A network drive?

-Kirk

Offline brianw

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »
I do occasionally open folders with xmp sidecar files, but the same thing happens with or without xmp files present. No other metadata embedded. The photos are stored on an external lacie 2tb drive or similar - performance is the same on files on internal hard drive and all external drives. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 11:51:11 AM »
I do occasionally open folders with xmp sidecar files, but the same thing happens with or without xmp files present. No other metadata embedded. The photos are stored on an external lacie 2tb drive or similar - performance is the same on files on internal hard drive and all external drives. 

I suggest calling our tech support folks at 503-547-2888 and they'll troubleshoot the issue with you.  Post back what you find out, please.

-Kirk