Author Topic: Another color management question  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Another color management question
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:17:30 PM »
Kirk,
I've noticed that some of my pictures seem to look better with CM off (the way I see them in DPP), especially pictures of people.
I tried to read and understand all previous questions on color management in the forum, but I decided to ask you a few more questions.
First of all, I would like to know if having a macbook makes a big difference in the use of CM with PM;
Second, if my workflow is:
1- shooting canon raw;
2- selecting, tagging, adding iptc and keywords with PM;
3- opening photos in DPP, editing, converting and saving as high quality jpegs;
4- viewing most of them in monitors/tvs, printing just a few (considering that most printing shops do not work with ARGB), uploading by PM to Photoshelter;
I would like to know what would be the settings I should use in my macbook, in my camera (canon 40D), in DPP and in PM, concerning color space and CM.
TIA for all your help.

-Luiz Muzzi
Macbook 10.6, PM 4.6.4

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Another color management question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 03:40:05 PM »
Luiz,

I've noticed that some of my pictures seem to look better with CM off (the way I see them in DPP), especially pictures of people.
I tried to read and understand all previous questions on color management in the forum, but I decided to ask you a few more questions.
First of all, I would like to know if having a macbook makes a big difference in the use of CM with PM;

It makes no difference.  All Mac machines are capable of excellent color management.

Quote from: Luiz Muzzi
Second, if my workflow is:
1- shooting canon raw;
2- selecting, tagging, adding iptc and keywords with PM;
3- opening photos in DPP, editing, converting and saving as high quality jpegs;
4- viewing most of them in monitors/tvs, printing just a few (considering that most printing shops do not work with ARGB), uploading by PM to Photoshelter;
I would like to know what would be the settings I should use in my macbook, in my camera (canon 40D), in DPP and in PM, concerning color space and CM.
TIA for all your help.

What profile are you having DPP save with?  Is your MacBook's screen color calibrated with a colorimeter?

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »
Kirk,

In DPP:
The default settings of work color space is sRGB (I don`t know if it should be otherwise).
The color matching settings - for display - is also sRGB.
When converting and saving, the output resolution is set to 350 dpi and Embed ICC profile is marked.

As to my MacBook`s screen, it is not color calibrated. What would you recommend in this case? Any software that could be purchased online could do it? If so, which is a good one?

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
Luiz,

In DPP:
The default settings of work color space is sRGB (I don`t know if it should be otherwise).
The color matching settings - for display - is also sRGB.
When converting and saving, the output resolution is set to 350 dpi and Embed ICC profile is marked.

As to my MacBook`s screen, it is not color calibrated. What would you recommend in this case? Any software that could be purchased online could do it? If so, which is a good one?

There are several reasonably priced colorimeters on the market:

http://www.google.com/search?q=colorimeter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

You need to have a reasonably accurate profile assigned to your display for color management to work properly.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
I'll see about that...

-Luiz Muzzi