Author Topic: Undo last step?  (Read 8834 times)

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Undo last step?
« on: April 26, 2006, 12:25:19 PM »
There is an undo option in Photo Mechanic, but what will it actually undo?

Here are a couple things I've accidentally done and couldn't undo:

Did a select all of a contact sheet I had edited using color classes to do something with all the images. Then wanted to select only the color class 1 images. Instead of doing the Apple-Control-1 step, I accidentally did Apple-1 and set the entire contact sheet to class 1. That couldn't be undone and had to re-edit the images.

Along similar lines but with the Stationery Pad: Accidentally overwriting existing caption information.

Would it be possible to add an undo that addresses the above? I'm sure other users could offer more suggestions for steps they'd like to be able to undo.

Thanks, Ron
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Undo last step?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:54:58 PM »

Did a select all of a contact sheet I had edited using color classes to do something with all the images. Then wanted to select only the color class 1 images. Instead of doing the Apple-Control-1 step, I accidentally did Apple-1 and set the entire contact sheet to class 1. That couldn't be undone and had to re-edit the images.

Along similar lines but with the Stationery Pad: Accidentally overwriting existing caption information.

Would it be possible to add an undo that addresses the above? I'm sure other users could offer more suggestions for steps they'd like to be able to undo.

Thanks, Ron

There is not much at all that Photo Mechanic can undo currently.  The item is there for the use of dialog text field editing.

Undoing batch operations can be a fairly complex process, and I haven't tackled that issue yet.

-Kirk

Offline Ron Scheffler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 04:41:10 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I suspected it could be a complex issue - but worth asking anyway as it would be nice to have eventually.
Ron Scheffler - Photographer

Offline pmwul

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »

Thanks, Ron

There is not much at all that Photo Mechanic can undo currently.  The item is there for the use of dialog text field editing.

Undoing batch operations can be a fairly complex process, and I haven't tackled that issue yet.

-Kirk

Maybe add a kind of logging that logs the last nn actions?
PM to import the log file and apply changes?
(it happened to me to, accidentally changed quite a number of IPTC data)
ahum
-

Offline Ed Wolfstein

• Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
    • View Profile
    • PhotoSelter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:55:14 PM »
I'd vote for this feature too. In my typical workflow, after captioning I change the color class of captioned images to remember which I had done, then I turn off that color class and continue along. I once turned on a color class just for a look-see, didn't turn it off again, and promptly re-captioned almost a whole shoot (the ones that remained selected at the time). I learned my lesson well that day. It's not the highest priority for me, but it would be nice to have some way to periodically capture a state to the hard disk so that after a boob, you can retrieve your state - kind of a Time Machine for PM...

Cheers!

- Ed.
Ed Wolfstein - Photographer
100 Church Street
Burlington, Vermont, 05401 USA

http://www.edpix.com
802-864-8334