Author Topic: Hidden Files on MAC  (Read 3070 times)

Offline wguerro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hidden Files on MAC
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »
Is anyone else who uses Photo Mechanic (I am running the latest version of Photo Mechanic 4.6.4) on a MAC Book Pro or any other MAC running OSX ( I am running Ver# 10.5.8) having trouble with Hidden Files?  If I upload my edited photos via FTP, after upload I can see duplicate hidden files on the server but NOT in the folder on my computer folder.

I also have Microsoft Windows on my MAC Book.  I have to reboot into windows and open the folder and delete the hidden files and then re-boot into MAX OSX and then upload the files.

Is there a setting in Photo Mechanic that you can set for it not to create hidden files or is there any other fix to correct this problem?

Thanks
Bill

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hidden Files on MAC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »
Bill,

Is anyone else who uses Photo Mechanic (I am running the latest version of Photo Mechanic 4.6.4) on a MAC Book Pro or any other MAC running OSX ( I am running Ver# 10.5.8) having trouble with Hidden Files?  If I upload my edited photos via FTP, after upload I can see duplicate hidden files on the server but NOT in the folder on my computer folder.

I also have Microsoft Windows on my MAC Book.  I have to reboot into windows and open the folder and delete the hidden files and then re-boot into MAX OSX and then upload the files.

Is there a setting in Photo Mechanic that you can set for it not to create hidden files or is there any other fix to correct this problem?

Can you give me some examples of the file names of the hidden files?  PM only creates two files that could be construed as hidden: .PM_lock and .pmarrangement.dat

Otherwise, there should be no other hidden files produced by PM, and neither of these two files should be uploaded, ever.

Perhaps you're seeing resource forks of files on your Mac?  On a different system viewing files on your Mac they would start with '._' so if you had a file named 'filename' its resource fork would be '._filename'.

-Kirk