Author Topic: setting up on a mac  (Read 4670 times)

Offline gooner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
setting up on a mac
« on: May 25, 2010, 03:16:01 PM »
hello
i have downloaded photo mechanic for my mac osx 10.6.3 - i then dragged to the application folder and when i clicked on it to open up i get an error message saying "the image cache folder could not be accessed at the following location ................. please choose a new location for the image cache" - i then click ok and a new box appears titled "choose new image cache location" of which there is a drop box - documents - users - macintosh hd - my macbook pro
please advise on where i click so that i can open and use photo mechanic
many thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: setting up on a mac
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 03:53:27 PM »
i have downloaded photo mechanic for my mac osx 10.6.3 - i then dragged to the application folder and when i clicked on it to open up i get an error message saying "the image cache folder could not be accessed at the following location ................. please choose a new location for the image cache" - i then click ok and a new box appears titled "choose new image cache location" of which there is a drop box - documents - users - macintosh hd - my macbook pro

Normally it would go in /Users/<your account name>/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic

Is there a reason you can't use the default location?  Is your home directory/folder not stored on your machine?

-Kirk

Offline gooner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:01 AM »
hi
that is the exact location it won't go into!
ive gome to users, account name, library then caches and photo mechanic is not listed!! - its got adobe, camera raw, firefox, metadate, qlmanage, temporaryitems etc......
why it is not listed i don't know -
in applications the photo mechanic icon has a circle with a stroke through it!
maybe its not in applications correctly!
regards
gooner

Offline gooner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 04:31:02 AM »
i just dragged it out and back into the application folder and it now has the correct icon without a circle/line through it, but when i try to open it the same error message!!
gooner

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:19:47 AM »
i just dragged it out and back into the application folder and it now has the correct icon without a circle/line through it, but when i try to open it the same error message!!

Try calling our customer service folks at 503-547-2888.  This sort of thing is more easily solved via the telephone because it is a far more interactive form of communication.  They can get to the bottom of things far more quickly that way.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:09:16 AM »
Interesting case. Yesterday, that same message crept up on my own system. Which is quite funny as I've been using PM for a very long time now without any (cache) problems. Weirder still is the fact that the faulty cache location as referred to in the error message was to an (indeed non existing) path I hadn't used for a very very long time.

Allowing the cache to be moved to the default location (where it actually already was), allowed PM to start, but then to my horror manny of the other settings seemed to be of a very long time ago too. Weird. I then closed PM, used time machine to revert back to an older set of my PM preferences. Same problem  ???

I then decided to clear the PM cache manually, again restored the PM preferences, and restarted PM. This time all was fine again. Perhaps my manual cleaning of the cache was what repaired the problem, but I'm not sure. Just glad everything is working as it should be  :)

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:24:09 AM »
If an application icon is crossed out in OS X, it usually denotes some type of rights issue. I would definitely do Repair Permissions, and then check out what's the permissions on Photo Mechanic.app itself (cmd-i)

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:22 AM »
Yeah, I had the same problem.  I had cleaned caches and PM had couldn't recreate its cache folder when starting which normally it does with no difficulty.  I went to time machine to restore the cache folder, figured out TM doesn't store cache files, then went back and all of a sudden PM did recreate the cache folder and opened fine.  It did the same thing on my laptop also.  Normally I clean cache files every few weeks, never has been a problem with PM, and now it had issues. I have current Apple and PM software versions.

Offline mf_photo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »
I had this same cache issue when doing a fresh install of PM 4.6.4 on MacOS 10.6.4. Called PM support and spoke to Bob who gave the following fix:

- Make sure Photo Mechanic is NOT running.

- Go to your user folder > Library > Caches. Create a new folder called "Photo Mechanic" (no quotes).

- Launch Photo Mechanic. That's it.

Apparently 4.6.4 does not create the Cache folder by default?

Thanks, Bob, for the great product support.

-Mike