Author Topic: Ingest Error explanations  (Read 3030 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Ingest Error explanations
« on: May 24, 2010, 12:45:43 AM »
Having just spent some time slightly panicking over the weekend trying to work out why an Ingest of two cards was throwing up so many errors, can I put in a request for the Ingest window.  I had two cards to Ingest, the first one started fine and then about half way through every frame failed, and the message in the Ingest Tasks window simply said "Error copying:..."  The second card failed completely, every frame saying "Error Copying...".  After considering all sorts of terrible situations and the loss of the whole shoot, I finally realised that my destination archive drive (not the same as my Mac's boot drive) was full (my own fault – EOS 5DII raw files are big!).

This made me think that it would be useful if the error message PM gives in the Ingest Tasks window could give some reason why the Ingest had failed.  Just a simple "Insufficient Free Space" would do.  Or could the Ingest window itself compare the amount of data on the Card with the amount of free space on the destination drive and not allow the Ingest to even start if there is not enough space?

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Ingest Error explanations
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:29:30 AM »
It's already here - if you start ingest and PM detects insufficient free space on the destination for the whole card, it does indeed present you with a warning of low free space and option to abort or continue anyway (which is for these occassions when you are doing incremental ingest and know for sure that the few new photos will fit there).

Dunno why you didn't see it, perhaps some other program filled up your hard drive during the time ingest was underway?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 06:35:03 AM »
Sam,

Frantisek is right, Ingest does 'pre-flight checks' before it starts copying files.  If there isn't enough room, then the Ingest won't start.  At least that's the way it is supposed to work.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:27:38 PM »
Unless I'm missing something obvious, it doesn't seem to work here.  I just tried Ingesting a new job onto the same almost-full disk.  The Ingest dialog reported (correctly) that there was 5.4GB used on the disk (about 230 EOS 5DII raw files), and Finder told me that there was 4.12GB available. I click Ingest to get PM started, and it ingested the first 160 files, with the Ingest task window finally showing 70 errors copying and the Finder showing 7.9MB available (less than one file's size).

I'm prepared to accept I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what!

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:04:12 AM »
That's not the expected behaviour, I think. What's your OS and PM version? The warning shows up even in my PM 4.5.4 (which is an outdated version by now, sigh) on OS X 10.6.3
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:06:06 AM by Frantisek Vlcek »

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 02:12:49 AM »
PM 4.6.4, OS X 10.6.3