Author Topic: Fotostaion does not read captions entered in PM  (Read 14405 times)

Offline fnphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Fotostaion does not read captions entered in PM
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:57:48 PM »
Just sent pictures to my agency after I edited and wrote the caption in PM but they just told me that 99% of the pictures arrived with  empty captions.
I checked with my own Fotostation and noticed the same problem while the caption appear ok in Photoshop.

Any idea what's going on?

Thank you

Frederic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Fotostaion does not read captions entered in PM
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »
Just sent pictures to my agency after I edited and wrote the caption in PM but they just told me that 99% of the pictures arrived with  empty captions.
I checked with my own Fotostation and noticed the same problem while the caption appear ok in Photoshop.

Any idea what's going on?

We write our captions out the same way Photoshop does.  The captions are there.  Fotostation is just not seeing them.

Contact the Fotostation support staff. ;)

-Kirk

Offline gerlo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Fotostation does not read captions entered in PM
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 01:18:47 PM »
There is a bigger problem here.
The agency I work for has problems with PM last versions. They just changed to a newer program.
Their new database is simply not reading XMP info. So they tell everyone now to stay away from photomechanic.
Quite curious. The only thing you must not do is use PM for rewriting IPTC after you have worked on the images in Photoshop.
At least on a Mac you could change it so other programs have acces to the info? Photoshop can do it.
Hope you can change this.

regards,

Gerlo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 02:05:02 PM »
There is a bigger problem here.
The agency I work for has problems with PM last versions. They just changed to a newer program.

And what program is that?

Quote from: gerlo
Their new database is simply not reading XMP info. So they tell everyone now to stay away from photomechanic.
Quite curious. The only thing you must not do is use PM for rewriting IPTC after you have worked on the images in Photoshop.
At least on a Mac you could change it so other programs have acces to the info? Photoshop can do it.
Hope you can change this.

What are we supposed to do?  Fix their software?  BTW, you do not have to use XMP in Photo Mechanic.  Just have PM write IPTC only if you like.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 05:56:21 PM »
Hi Gerlo,

As you know Fotoware have many newspaper clients in Europe and some in the USA. Fotoware are slow to move into IPTC4XMP and much of their IPTC is not standard. In time they will have to become XMP compliant simply because these big players will demand it.

Meantime complain to Fotoware. Good luck doing so!

Photo Mechanic is one of the few apps that plays nicely with XMP data, especially with Adobe products. For better or worse Adobe dominates the print industry. That is who Camera Bits needs to get along with.

Finally, as Kirk said, you can turn off XMP in PM if you want to.

-- Robert.

Offline gerlo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »
Sorry Robert en Kirk,

I'm not trying to offend you in any way. I'm just passing the words I get from my agency.
In fact I really like PM and recommend it to other photographers if to want to streamline their workflow.
I thought it would be useful information to PM if you know that a few hundred photographers in The Netherlands are having problems with a certain use of the program. Sorry if I'm mistaken in this.
The agency I'm referring to has recently moved out of Fotoware even and is using a new program (don't know the name) that some other agencies in Europe also use.

I did not know you could turn off XMP. I will pass this on. Hopes this will help.

Gerlo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 03:07:48 PM »
I'm not trying to offend you in any way. I'm just passing the words I get from my agency.
In fact I really like PM and recommend it to other photographers if to want to streamline their workflow.
I thought it would be useful information to PM if you know that a few hundred photographers in The Netherlands are having problems with a certain use of the program. Sorry if I'm mistaken in this.

I'm not at all offended, really.  I just don't know what I can do to solve their/your problem.  Numerous popular programs can see and even update our captions.  Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, iView Media Pro, Breeze Browser/Breeze Browser Pro, iMatch, etc. can all deal with our captions just fine.

The agency I'm referring to has recently moved out of Fotoware even and is using a new program (don't know the name) that some other agencies in Europe also use.

It would be great if you can find out the name of this program.  I would be more than willing to talk to the developers of this software to see if I could help them out.

I did not know you could turn off XMP. I will pass this on. Hopes this will help.

It would be great if it were as simple as turning of XMP captioning, though it would be even better if the program that they are using were to be modified to work with the latest standards.

-Kirk

Offline gerlo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:03:59 AM »
the program is called infradox from Xpertise. You can get in contact with w.scheveers@xpertise-ict.com
You find the program at http://www.xpertise-ict.com/frmsie.html

regards Gerlo