Author Topic: Zenfolio Uploader - select new gallery by default  (Read 9953 times)

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
Zenfolio Uploader - select new gallery by default
« on: May 27, 2010, 11:14:05 PM »
Been using the zenfolio uploader a lot this last couple of weeks and come upon a workflow problem. It would be very useful to have a gallery that was newly created using the uploader interface be automatically selected as the list of galleries is getting unworkably long and the new gallery is rarely within easy reach in the drop down menu. We use a folder hierarchy system, which maybe would be a good approach for selecting within the uploader itself.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Zenfolio Uploader - select new gallery by default
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »
Been using the zenfolio uploader a lot this last couple of weeks and come upon a workflow problem. It would be very useful to have a gallery that was newly created using the uploader interface be automatically selected as the list of galleries is getting unworkably long and the new gallery is rarely within easy reach in the drop down menu. We use a folder hierarchy system, which maybe would be a good approach for selecting within the uploader itself.

If you create a new gallery in the uploader then it should be preselected.  That's the way it's supposed to work.  So you're saying it isn't working the way it should?

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:55:14 AM »
I didn't realise that was the way it was supposed to work. OK, I've just tested this again more thoroughly.

In my personal trial zenfolio account (only a couple of groups and galleries with a very simple directory structure) it works fine, and with the work premium plan account (with about 30 groups and about 10 galleries in an alphabetised directory structure ie. Preview_Files>A>AClient>AClientsGallery) it works fine if you make a gallery anywhere but the [root] directory. When I make a gallery in [root] the new gallery displays as selected then after about two seconds, the uploader reselects a previous non root gallery of it's own accord. The reverted selection gallery appears to consistently be the first gallery in the drop down list.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
I didn't realise that was the way it was supposed to work. OK, I've just tested this again more thoroughly.

In my personal trial zenfolio account (only a couple of groups and galleries with a very simple directory structure) it works fine, and with the work premium plan account (with about 30 groups and about 10 galleries in an alphabetised directory structure ie. Preview_Files>A>AClient>AClientsGallery) it works fine if you make a gallery anywhere but the [root] directory. When I make a gallery in [root] the new gallery displays as selected then after about two seconds, the uploader reselects a previous non root gallery of it's own accord. The reverted selection gallery appears to consistently be the first gallery in the drop down list.

I followed you up until your last sentence: 'reverted selection gallery'?

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
Fair enough! I can see why you'd say that!

The gallery that the downloader reverts to after the 2 second delay is the first gallery in the dropdown list.
Hope that's clear now.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »
Fair enough! I can see why you'd say that!

The gallery that the downloader reverts to after the 2 second delay is the first gallery in the dropdown list.
Hope that's clear now.

I am unable to reproduce this issue.  I have a group 'Test Group' created at the root.  I then went to Zenfolio and added another group inside it called '06-08-2010 Group'.  In the Zenfolio Uploader template I created a new gallery '06-08-2010 Gallery'.  The popup menu changed to 'Test Group>06-08-2010 Group>06-08-2010 Gallery' and I was able to upload images to it with no further interaction.

I did these tests with version 4.6.4 of Photo Mechanic.  What version are you using?  What OS are you running Photo Mechanic on?

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »
We are experiencing this on several computers, all mac os x. some are 10.5.8 and one is 10.6.3.
The version on PM we are all using is 4.6.4

[/quote]
I have a group 'Test Group' created at the root.  I then went to Zenfolio and added another group inside it called '06-08-2010 Group'.  In the Zenfolio Uploader template I created a new gallery '06-08-2010 Gallery'.  The popup menu changed to 'Test Group>06-08-2010 Group>06-08-2010 Gallery' and I was able to upload images to it with no further interaction.-Kirk
[/quote]

What I am saying is that we are trying to make galleries at the root because the "Parent Group:" dropdown list has now become too long to use easily (as has the "Gallery:" dropdown list). (We then move the gallery to it's Parent Group from within Zenfolio because this is easier) Also, I think you may need to create a bunch of galleries and groups and then try to recreate the issue. I mentioned earlier that we had 30 groups and 10 galleries when we noticed the problem.

On the copy of PM on my laptop, I use the feature on two zenfolio accounts. The only difference between the two that I can ascertain is that the one that is fine has very few groups and galleries compared with the other that shows this issue.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:35:49 PM by apl »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
We are experiencing this on several computers, all mac os x. some are 10.5.8 and one is 10.6.3.
The version on PM we are using is 4.6.4

On the copy of PM on my laptop, i experience it only with our work account, which has many more groups and galleries. With my personal zenfolio account which BTW is the same level account (premium i think from memory) I don't have this issue. This might suggest that the number of groups of galleries or a combination of both is creating a problem?

Not sure if this is important but the delay before the first alphabetical gallery is defaulted to seems to be increasing. Maybe this is relating to the increasing number of groups and galleries that we are uploading?

I think you may need to create a bunch of galleries and groups and then try to recreate the issue. I mentioned earlier that we had 30 groups and 10 galleries when we noticed the problem.

Hope this is helpful

Or, if you'd like, you can privately send me your account settings and I'll create test galleries and if I can reproduce the problem then I can fix it for sure.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »
The version on PM we are using is 4.6.4

On the copy of PM on my laptop, i experience it only with our work account, which has many more groups and galleries. With my personal zenfolio account which BTW is the same level account (premium i think from memory) I don't have this issue. This might suggest that the number of groups of galleries or a combination of both is creating a problem?

Not sure if this is important but the delay before the first alphabetical gallery is defaulted to seems to be increasing. Maybe this is relating to the increasing number of groups and galleries that we are uploading?

I think you may need to create a bunch of galleries and groups and then try to recreate the issue. I mentioned earlier that we had 30 groups and 10 galleries when we noticed the problem.

Hope this is helpful

Or, if you'd like, you can privately send me your account settings and I'll create test galleries and if I can reproduce the problem then I can fix it for sure.

-Kirk

Sure.