Author Topic: Tag images from Spreadsheet data  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Simon Ashley

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Tag images from Spreadsheet data
« on: May 28, 2010, 01:46:14 AM »
I have PM installed on MacOSX. I have a library of 20,000+ images. I need to tag about 7000 of them. I have the image numbers that I ned to tag on an Excell XLS. Do I need to grind through the entire collection and tag manually?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Tag images from Spreadsheet data
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:05:36 AM »
Unless they are all in one big cluster, yes, I'm afraid you need to do this by hand in PM. There's no way of importing a spreadsheet and have a tag applied to the ones listed.

If you know your way around the command-line a little, you can probably achieve something more automated using Phil Harvey's exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/).

Correction/Addition: As Kirk suggests below, you can use the "Load Selection" command to load the file names from a file and tag those. This will definitely help, but it will be cumbersome still. The exiftool way is still available and probably pretty doable too though.

Cheers,
    Hayo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:28:18 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Tag images from Spreadsheet data
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:53:16 AM »
Simon,

I have PM installed on MacOSX. I have a library of 20,000+ images. I need to tag about 7000 of them. I have the image numbers that I ned to tag on an Excell XLS. Do I need to grind through the entire collection and tag manually?

You can use the 'Load Selection...' command on the Edit menu to load a text file that lists the names of the images you want selected.  You have to have some of the images loaded before you load the selection file.  Once the images are selected.  You can simply tag them using the Tag command on the Edit menu.

You will have to manually open up the folders containing the images into contact sheets (I don't recommend opening up 20,000+ images at once) and use the 'Load Selection...' command and the Tag command on each folder you load, but it should be fairly efficient.

-Kirk