Author Topic: "Noisy" Image when Zoomed  (Read 6374 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
"Noisy" Image when Zoomed
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
PM 4.6.4 and OS 10.6.3 When I zoom in on an image, it will become very "noisy" looking, see attached. These are not high ISO images however. This will happen with NEFs and JPGs. Sometimes, but not always, un-zoomed images (some, not all) in the same folder will appear noisy as well. The only way to remove the noise is to quit PM. However, zooming will cause the noise to re-appear. This phenomenon happened occasionally with earlier combinations of PM and OS 10.5, but seems to be occurring much more frequently with the latest combination. Any help is appreciated. Richard

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:02:14 AM by rbsandor »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Noisy" Image when Zoomed
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:32:31 AM »
Richard,

PM 4.6.4 and OS 10.6.3 When I zoom in on an image, it will become very "noisy" looking, see attached. These are not high ISO images however. This will happen with NEFs and JPGs. Sometimes, but not always, un-zoomed images (some, not all) in the same folder will appear noisy as well. The only way to remove the noise is to quit PM. However, zooming will cause the noise to re-appear. This phenomenon happened occasionally with earlier combinations of PM and OS 10.5, but seems to be occurring much more frequently with the latest combination. Any help is appreciated. Richard

If you can get us an image and tell us how to reproduce the problem, I'm sure we could fix it.  Without the ability to reproduce this phenomenon locally, it would be very difficult to fix the issue.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 09:44:07 AM »
Kirk: thanks for the quick reply. As I mentioned the "noise" occurs only when an image is zoomed in. The noise remains when the image is reverted to full screen size as shown in the attachment. If you tell me what type of image you want and give explicit instructions (I'm not the most computer knowledgeable), I'll be happy to forward it to you. Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:21:23 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: thanks for the quick reply. As I mentioned the "noise" occurs only when an image is zoomed in. The noise remains when the image is reverted to full screen size as shown in the attachment. If you tell me what type of image you want and give explicit instructions (I'm not the most computer knowledgeable), I'll be happy to forward it to you. Richard

I sent you a personal message with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »
Kirk: thanks for the email. I have sent via FTP (I think) a Jpeg labeled Sandor_2009_  12_25_3704. I'm not sure how to send a "noisy" version other than via the screen shot I attached earlier. What would you like me to do? Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 11:08:11 AM »
Richard,

Kirk: thanks for the email. I have sent via FTP (I think) a Jpeg labeled Sandor_2009_  12_25_3704. I'm not sure how to send a "noisy" version other than via the screen shot I attached earlier. What would you like me to do?

Once I have the image, you'll just need to tell me how to reproduce the problem.  Does it happen reliably, or randomly?

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »
Kirk: did you get the image? To get the "noise" to appear, I open it with a double click. At this point, the image is fine. As soon as I zoom to any degree, the noise appears. I should have kept a record, but in the past, the change would occur randomly. Of late though, it happens routinely, about 80 or 90 % of the  time. Richard

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »
Kirk: have you been able to reproduce the issue? Thanks, Richard