Author Topic: Cropping in PM, unable to crop raw files (4.6.2beta1)  (Read 8406 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Cropping in PM, unable to crop raw files (4.6.2beta1)
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »
Hello, the new code in 4.6.2 beta for saving crop into ACR XMP sidecar file does have some issues...

4.6.2 beta 1, CS4 ACR, OSX 10.6.1

Cropping raw+jpeg shown combined works fine, it transfers to ACR. When I edit it in ACR, change the crop, it doesn't transfer back. JPEG from the pair still shows the old PM-made crop, RAW from the pair shows no crop at all. What's worse, if I crop just the RAW (cmd-j to show separately) or have a raw-only (no jpeg to accompany it) photo, I am unable to set crop at all in PM. The rectangle disappears just as I release the mouse button. Sometimes, the RAW shows some older version of the crop, which I am then unable to remove (even after removing the crop in combined view, the RAW still shows it).

Frantisek

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Re: Cropping in PM, unable to crop raw files (4.6.2beta1)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
I may be wrong, but I didn't think that PM's crops were visible to other programs like NX2 and ACR.  In my experience, if I crop a nef in PM and then open it in NX2, the crop is not visible, and if I save the file in NX2, the crop is gone.  I always assumed that NX2 trashed whatever metadata field PM uses to store the soft crop information.

Danny

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
Hi Frantisek,

What camera is this for?

When you edited in ACR, was that for the RAW or for the JPEG?

PM will typically use the crop from the JPEG for a RAW+JPEG pair, so if you open the RAW in ACR and change its crop, PM won't see it when in RAW+JPEG (because it is looking at the JPEG's crop).  I don't know why RAW only won't set the crop (could be there is an older crop at the end of the file that PM is using or the XMP crop isn't writing through).

--dennis

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
If you read the 4.6.2 beta 1 description, it's there as a new feature: * Added a preference to prevent modification of (non-DNG) RAW files when making metadata changes to tag, color class, and crop (although the TIFF rotation tag will be updated when rotating a photo).  The crop is now stored in XMP for RAW files and can be read by Adobe applications such as the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in.

Understandably, it might not be trivial to implement on PM's side, as ACR stores additionaly the crop angle (rotation of the crop). I can understand that there must be some fallback measure in PM as the crop could differ on both the jpeg and raw depending on what one did in ACR, over which PM has no control. So the issue I raised might be part of that fallback. Even so, it seems strange.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
Hi Dennis, it has been files from Canon 1DmkIII. I opened the RAW file into ACR directly from PM, either a single RAW or RAW+JPEG in combined view (which opens just the RAW anyway as to my prefs). I haven't looked inside the XMP or end of file PM settings for it, though. Maybe later it's too late in my timezone :) Maybe I can try it on a set of "clean" files later.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
Hi Dennis, it has been files from Canon 1DmkIII.

OK - I'm working on it.  Hope to have a fix soon.  I found some issues with the 1DsMkIII model so you don't need to send any samples (unless of course the fix doesn't work for you  ;) ).

--dennis

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:12:19 PM »
Understandably, it might not be trivial to implement on PM's side, as ACR stores additionaly the crop angle (rotation of the crop).

Regarding crop angle, if this is set in ACR since we cannot apply a crop angle in PM then we will not recognize this yet.  Otherwise we should be compatible with crops on RAW files.

--dennis

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:57 AM »
Sorry I interjected where I didn't know what I was talking about.  I didn't realize they added features to the crop function in the beta.

Danny

Offline tommygrealy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
Is there actually any way to alter/rotate the angle of a crop selection in PM?
I mean by just a few degrees, not 90. I have looked for this everywhere on this
forum and tried a number of different google searches on it but found nothing.
Seems like a pretty important feature

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:53 PM »
Tommy,

Is there actually any way to alter/rotate the angle of a crop selection in PM?
I mean by just a few degrees, not 90. I have looked for this everywhere on this
forum and tried a number of different google searches on it but found nothing.
Seems like a pretty important feature

No, not currently.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »
If you read the 4.6.2 beta 1 description, it's there as a new feature: * Added a preference to prevent modification of (non-DNG) RAW files when making metadata changes to tag, color class, and crop (although the TIFF rotation tag will be updated when rotating a photo).  The crop is now stored in XMP for RAW files and can be read by Adobe applications such as the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in.

I wonder if PM crop can be read by DPP as well...

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 03:34:29 PM »
Luiz,

If you read the 4.6.2 beta 1 description, it's there as a new feature: * Added a preference to prevent modification of (non-DNG) RAW files when making metadata changes to tag, color class, and crop (although the TIFF rotation tag will be updated when rotating a photo).  The crop is now stored in XMP for RAW files and can be read by Adobe applications such as the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in.

I wonder if PM crop can be read by DPP as well...

I don't believe that it can.  Nor do I believe that it is possible on our end to write out cropping data that DPP would use.

-Kirk