Author Topic: Advanced Code Replacement  (Read 3105 times)

Offline kit houghton

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Advanced Code Replacement
« on: June 01, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »
Can you explain advanced code replacement. Am attaching 2 .txt files I use for replacement. one needs to go into the caption field the other the keyword field of the same image. Can't work out how code replacement #2 works

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Advanced Code Replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
Kit,

Can you explain advanced code replacement. Am attaching 2 .txt files I use for replacement. one needs to go into the caption field the other the keyword field of the same image. Can't work out how code replacement #2 works

You only attached one text file, which I downloaded and looked at.  You don't need to surround your replacement text in quotes.  Additional replacements are entered on the same line as the first replacement, you just type another Tab and enter the additional replacement.  Continue entering replacements separated by Tabs.  Hit Enter/Return when you want to enter another code/replacement set.

To use a particular replacement you enter your Code Replacement delimiter (you can choose one in the Set Code Replacements dialog, mine is =) followed by the code you want to use, and then enter the last delimiter.  At this point Code Replacement will replace the =code= with its replacement if found.  The codes are the text you entered in the first column of your text file.  If you want to choose the replacement, you enter additional characters after the code to tell Code Replacement which replacement you want.  For example if we want to get the second replacement, we would enter:

=code#2=

For more advanced usage, you can use variables with Code Replacement and use the IPTC Stationery Pad to automate things for you.  If you were to make a pass through all of your images with the IPTC Info dialog and enter a code for each picture into some field that you don't normally use, like Edit Status (without the delimiters, just enter the code text without delimiters or the replacement selector text) then you could apply an IPTC Stationery Pad with the following in your Caption and Keywords text fields...

Caption: ={status#2}=
Keywords ={status}=

Assuming you've got keywords for your first replacement, and caption text as your second replacement in your text file.

If you have additional questions or don't understand what I've described above, please feel free to ask.

-Kirk