Photo Mechanic > Support

random rotating problem

(1/1)

CraigMdyer:
Hi there. I am hoping you an help me. I am having a bit of a problem that I never had before.....

first let me give you some background.

In my workflow, I copy an entire shoot to a folder, open the folder in PM, tag my selects, then copy those to another "edits" folder, using the PM copy function....then I open that folder and rotate all the verticals, then I run a batch on that folder in Photoshop.

Ok, so that all works great. after the batch is done all the files that need to be rotated are rotated, etc, etc.....however...lately and very randomly, horizontal images which have not been rotated in PM are rotated after they are opened by the Photoshop batch???? very frustrating and time consuming to go through a re-rotate them. any idea why this is happening? I am using Mac OX 10.4.7 and PM version 4.3.8 and Photoshop CS it just started happening very frequently, to the point where I want to shoot myself :)

let me know if you have any ideas

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: CraigMdyer on August 27, 2006, 11:47:29 AM ---Hi there. I am hoping you an help me. I am having a bit of a problem that I never had before.....

first let me give you some background.

In my workflow, I copy an entire shoot to a folder, open the folder in PM, tag my selects, then copy those to another "edits" folder, using the PM copy function....then I open that folder and rotate all the verticals, then I run a batch on that folder in Photoshop.

Ok, so that all works great. after the batch is done all the files that need to be rotated are rotated, etc, etc.....however...lately and very randomly, horizontal images which have not been rotated in PM are rotated after they are opened by the Photoshop batch???? very frustrating and time consuming to go through a re-rotate them. any idea why this is happening? I am using Mac OX 10.4.7 and PM version 4.3.8 and Photoshop CS it just started happening very frequently, to the point where I want to shoot myself :)

let me know if you have any ideas
--- End quote ---

I do know that Photoshop likes to cache certain information about images that it has opened before, information like orientation is cached.  What can happen is that if you open an image in Photoshop, it will appear in one orientation.  If you close that image and then soft-rotate it in Photo Mechanic and open it again in Photoshop, then Photoshop will ignore the new orientation, relying on the cached information.  Why it does this is beyond me since the modification date has changed which should be a sure sign that any cached information should be purged.

This may be what is happening in your case.  I cannot tell from your description exactly what is going on.

-Kirk

CraigMdyer:
makes sense except that the images have never been opened before......do you think that it is saving info on the same filename from like a week ago or whenever the last time that file name came around?

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: CraigMdyer on August 27, 2006, 12:01:08 PM ---makes sense except that the images have never been opened before......do you think that it is saving info on the same filename from like a week ago or whenever the last time that file name came around?

--- End quote ---

I don't know exactly what Photoshop uses as its key to look up the cached information, but you could try renaming one of the files and see if that corrects the problem.

Let me know what you find out.

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version