Author Topic: Unsupported variant  (Read 5883 times)

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unsupported variant
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
Running 4.6.3 Mac ver. 10.58
Downloaded  contents of Etreme UDMA to Jobo giga one.
I get this unsupported variant. Won't open in photoshop  also.
The jobo drive is formated in fat 32.
can you help me?

Thanks,
Larry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unsupported variant
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:10:21 PM »
Larry,

Running 4.6.3 Mac ver. 10.58
Downloaded  contents of Etreme UDMA to Jobo giga one.
I get this unsupported variant. Won't open in photoshop  also.
The jobo drive is formated in fat 32.
can you help me?

I take it that the pictures are still on your Extreme UDMA card?  If so, if you browse the card directly, can Photo Mechanic or Photoshop load the files properly?

-Kirk

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:15:30 PM »
Cards have been re-formated,  All shots are on Jobo.
Looking at Jobo giga one Udma cards may not be compatable. Jobo did however show card 100% loaded into giga one. I thought everything was ok but found unsupported when I tried to load onto desktop computer using Photo mechanic.
I will call Jobo support on Monday unless you have other suggestions.
Thanks
Larry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:54:47 PM »
Larry,

Cards have been re-formated,  All shots are on Jobo.
Looking at Jobo giga one Udma cards may not be compatable. Jobo did however show card 100% loaded into giga one. I thought everything was ok but found unsupported when I tried to load onto desktop computer using Photo mechanic.
I will call Jobo support on Monday unless you have other suggestions.

As long as you have not shot new pictures onto the card there are several image 'rescue' applications that can get your images off of the formatted card.

http://www.lexar.com/software/image_rescue4.html
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

HTH,

-Kirk

EDIT: Corrected mis-phrasing of sentence.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:59:34 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
As long as you have not formatted the card there are several image 'rescue' applications that can get your images off of the formatted card.

http://www.lexar.com/software/image_rescue4.html
http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

Actually even formatting is fine (the tools will read "beyond" the formatting). And as long as the cards have not been used again, you may actually have a pretty good chance of retrieving the images!

Good luck,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:02:42 AM »
Yes, and as you own the Sandisk Extreme series card, you should have received a little flier with your card with serial number for the PhotoRescue software, full version. That would be your best bet. If you lost it, ask around among colleagues, I myself had like five licences for it already from all the Sandisk cards or readers...gave most of them away to friends.

Offline larryt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »
thanks guys but I need to get the photos from the giga one since the cards have been formated and re shot.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 11:14:14 PM »
Hmm, the problem is that your images on the giga seem to be corrupted and can't be used anymore. If you really do not have the original media anymore, I'm afraid you have lost your images altogether :-(
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »
Did you run the photo rescue software on the cards (even though they have been reshot) anyway?

Because flash memory is random access, there is still a good chance, unless the cards were filled to full capacity, that you might salvage some of the photos from it (although probably not all, and if it has been filled full, none).

I would also try running the photo rescue software on the JOBO itself, to see if it can salvage the jpeg/raw data if per chance only the file system of the JOBO got corrupted. You would need a HDD twice the size of the JOBO as a temporary drive, but it's worth trying.

As a last resort, are the files RAW or JPEG? If you can copy them from the JOBO, but they do not open in PM or PS, there is still a chance (albeit very small) that only the headers or metadata strems got corrupted, but the image data might be intact inside the file. Try this:

1) get exiftool. run Terminal(Mac) or command.com (windows). navigate to the copy of the corrupt file and run this: "exiftool -all= [filename]" (without the "quotes). Try opening the resulting file

2) try to open copy of the corrupted file in as many photo viewing or editing software as possible. If indeed the data stream is intact but only the metadata or headers are corrupt, perhaps some photo tool would still be able to make something out of it and you would be able to resave the photo. So for RAW, try the commandline tool DCRaw. Et cetera.

I am not giving that much chance, but you shouldn't give up until every option has been tried.