Author Topic: PM vs Photoshop IPTC fields  (Read 2029 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
PM vs Photoshop IPTC fields
« on: June 09, 2010, 09:20:20 PM »
I compared the IPTC fields displayed by PM 4.6.4 and Photoshop/Bridge CS5.  All PS IPTC fields show up in PM, but the following PM fields do not show up is PS:  Edit Status, Category, Supp Cat 1,2,3.

I believe all the "missing" fields are legacy fields according to docs found on iptc.com.  Is PM the only app that still supports these fields or are they still commonly used?  If they aren't commonly used, how long will PM support them?

Finally, some of the PM fields are identified as only being saved in XMP data format.  What is the significance of this distinction?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM vs Photoshop IPTC fields
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
Deven,

I compared the IPTC fields displayed by PM 4.6.4 and Photoshop/Bridge CS5.  All PS IPTC fields show up in PM, but the following PM fields do not show up is PS:  Edit Status, Category, Supp Cat 1,2,3.

I believe all the "missing" fields are legacy fields according to docs found on iptc.com.  Is PM the only app that still supports these fields or are they still commonly used?

That's a hard question to answer.  There are dozens of applications that edit/display IPTC data.  I don't know if PM is the last of them to support those fields.

Quote from: devenh
If they aren't commonly used, how long will PM support them?

I'm not sure we'll ever stop supporting them.  There are too many files that already exist with those fields in them to abandon them.

Quote from: devenh
Finally, some of the PM fields are identified as only being saved in XMP data format.  What is the significance of this distinction?

It means that if you only allow PM to write IPTC data into your images then the XMP fields will not be saved in your images.  They will be omitted.

-Kirk

Deven
[/quote]