Author Topic: Windows Vista with Aero  (Read 31948 times)

Offline hya

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Vista with Aero
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 11:38:44 PM »
"I can't wait to find out all of the ways Vista creates problems for Photo Mechanic!"

Got a new one... If a Bluetooth device supports the File Transfer profile, and it's mounted in Vista, PM 4.4.3.3 crashes at startup.  Tested with a LG-VX8600 phone from Verizon on Vista Ultimate 64-bit RTM.  The workaround is to remove the Bluetooth device from Vista and reboot machine, after which PM 4.4.3.3 works perfectly (without Aero).

Offline Cameron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 01:39:59 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I was wondering if you are busy trying to create a workaround or new version that is compatible with Vista?  I have just built a new system that runs like it is nuclear powered but it can't run my favourite program of all time!  I am sure you are busy plugging away at this problem, just wondering how it is going?

Thanks mate!

Cam
Cameron Laird
cameron@cameronlaird.com
www.cameronlaird.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 06:44:06 AM »
Cam,

I was wondering if you are busy trying to create a workaround or new version that is compatible with Vista?  I have just built a new system that runs like it is nuclear powered but it can't run my favourite program of all time!  I am sure you are busy plugging away at this problem, just wondering how it is going?

From what I understand, all you have to do is turn on some preference for Photo Mechanic to not use the Aero interface and then Photo Mechanic runs just fine on Vista.

The people who make the UI toolkit that we use need to make a new Vista compatible version of their toolkit.  When they do that then PM should run with Aero turned on.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Cameron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Cam,

From what I understand, all you have to do is turn on some preference for Photo Mechanic to not use the Aero interface and then Photo Mechanic runs just fine on Vista.

The people who make the UI toolkit that we use need to make a new Vista compatible version of their toolkit.  When they do that then PM should run with Aero turned on.

HTH,

-Kirk

Kirk,

Thanks for the reply, I look forward to this in the near future..  WIll try the workaround until then..

Cam
Cameron Laird
cameron@cameronlaird.com
www.cameronlaird.com

Offline Cameron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
You can set Vista to run an App in compatibility mode.. no aero. this is how I run PM on my machine.

BTW Kirk apart from a couple of lockups and the tool box error PM is running fine on RTM

Do sing out if you want the toolbox issue tested

Andrew MacKay

Hi Andrew,

I am interested in how you have got PM to run properly without turning off Aero systemwide.  I have tried a few different things with the compatibility settings for Photo Mechanic but none of them have seemed to make any difference.  Have tried 'Disable Visual Themes' and 'Run this program in compatability mode for Windows XP (SP2)' but alas, no luck..

How did you do it?

Thanks!

Cameron
Cameron Laird
cameron@cameronlaird.com
www.cameronlaird.com

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 01:26:46 AM »
Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been busy shooting :)

Basicaly you second click on the icon for Photomechanic, in the compatibility tab tick every thing ... I've actually rolled back to XP in the mean time as I was experiancing some instabilaty and with all the work I have on couldn't afford for that to happen..

HTH

Andrew

Offline Cameron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 01:58:03 AM »
That's not working for me however it seems to be fine if you don't touch the 'File Edit etc' menu bar.  I am pretty sure I can work around that....  Any reason why you need to go near it, I can't remember any - keyboard shortcuts should cover just about everything....  Anyone else chime in here?

Cammo
Cameron Laird
cameron@cameronlaird.com
www.cameronlaird.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 07:09:43 AM »
Cameron,

That's not working for me however it seems to be fine if you don't touch the 'File Edit etc' menu bar.  I am pretty sure I can work around that....  Any reason why you need to go near it, I can't remember any - keyboard shortcuts should cover just about everything....  Anyone else chime in here?

I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate on one of my development systems.  I have figured out what you have to do to get Photo Mechanic to run at full speed (including the use of the menubar.)

Right-click on the Photo Mechanic application icon, and choose Properties from the contextual menu.
Click on the Compatibility tab.
Check the checkbox titled "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
Change the popup menu to read "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)"
Then check the checkbox titled "Disable visual themes"
Then check the checkbox titled "Disable desktop composition"

Then click the OK button.

Photo Mechanic should now operate without any issues under Vista.

I am looking into a full solution for the problem myself since the vendor of the Ultimate Toolbox appears to be doing nothing about the problem.  Very unfortunate since if I solve the problem myself, it will not help any of their other customers.

-Kirk

Offline Cameron

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »
Ahhhh, I had tried that before but I hadn't clicked disable desktop composition....  That works well, in that you don't have to go through a process of switching off Aero before running...  I have also mastered Aero with PM by firstly switching aero off and setting all the program preferences and settings and then I haven't need to go near the toolbar again since then.  Knowing the keyboard shortcuts is the key however.

Thanks Kirk for your tip!

Cam
Cameron Laird
cameron@cameronlaird.com
www.cameronlaird.com

Offline Andrew MacKay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Keaphotos.com
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2007, 11:45:40 PM »
Thanks Kirk... I'm in the middle of the local Rodeo season at the moment 22500 shots in 9 days :) thank goodness for PM ...

I'll look at rebuilding this laptop with a release build in the near future, so will be glad to see the toolbar issue fixed.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline Ed Zirkle

• Newcomer
  • never grow up...
    • View Profile
    • Slightly sane photographer
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 05:49:53 PM »
Thank you Kirk...

New build of Visa Business and PM hung on it's first load...  went to the forums and saw your suggestion, works great now...

;D

Will be in SD in April...  lunch is on me...

Ed Zirkle
Wilmington, NC
Feed the Shark...