Author Topic: Weird form of actuations number  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
Weird form of actuations number
« on: September 12, 2006, 10:58:24 AM »
Hi Kirk

It's no big deal and really last thing which matters to me, but it might be usefull for someone...

I just tried to check today what's actuation counter on my camera and I remembered I read somewhere a while ago PM has ability to read this variable too. So I tried to set info text to "Actuations #: {actuations}" and result was pretty strange. {actuations} shows me -25155 which is pretty strange... at least on first sight.
After I opened ExifReader and checked real counter it was a bit less strange, but I still think you didn't want it to work this way :) -25155 is actually right number if you substract it from 65536 and this way I get real actuations which is 40381. On the other side it shows normal actuations on my old 1d (which has around 300k frames). So I have no idea how it will/would show on 1dmk2 after counter would went over 65536.

PS: Even more strange... I just checked some random old photo from same 1dmk2 and it shows normaly, so now I really have no idea anymore. Only difference between older photos (with right actuations) and recent photos (with this "strange" actuations) is, that I finally started to use more features of PM as I did before. So nowadays I add captions, rename and sort in directories on ingest already. Before that I was renaming and adding captions after ingest. Could this matter?

PS #2: If it matters. PM 4.4.3.2, Windows XP, Canon 1dmk2 and 1d.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Weird form of actuations number
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »
Hi Primoz,

I sent you a private message regarding this, but I think this is a simple issue with signed versus unsigned arithmetic.  The 1D Mk II stores the values differently than the older 1D (as two "short" values that have to be swapped), and so an actuation count that is between 32K and 64K apparently shows up incorrectly since PM is currently using signed values for the bit shifting.  I've made a change for 4.4.3.3 and this should fix the problem.

Thanks for the heads-up.

--dennis

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
Re: Weird form of actuations number
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 01:30:06 PM »
Thanks for your reply Dennis. Mail with photo is on it's way, so hopefully it will be of some help. And as I wrote before, this thing is really no big issue for me, so this was more of comment only :)