Author Topic: Enhanced keyword panel  (Read 4413 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Enhanced keyword panel
« on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:24 AM »
I like the keyword panel and I would love to have it more enhanced:
1. add the keyword panel (optionally) to the preview window. one would just need a click to add a keyword to an image while running through the images
2. allow a similar tool like keyword panel to be used (both in contact sheet and preview window) to enter text to any other fields. Like have a list of player numbers, names, places in the "text entry panel" select the field in a dropbox you want to enter it and select what text to enter into it - similarly like the keywords panel works: fast and easy.

During my culling process I sort images by racer numbers. During this step I go through all the images entering the numbers seen on the image into a given IPTC field. This is rare to be keywords as this number is not needed as a keyword, never referenced any time later in the process like a keyword and the keyword field is a list tipe field so it behaves different when a value is added or read. I prefer using Headline or some other field instead.

Now I have to check the image (I prefer seeing it in full screen) then open IPTC info window or IPTC stationery if multiple images selected, TAB the cursor to the desired field (or click on it but it is faster to use the keyboard only) and hit apply. This means a lot of unnecessary keypresses and movement around the fields.

I would like to have a panel like the keyword panel to allow me set up (either in this panel or from an option opened from it or even set in preferences) to which field I want to write and allow me enter the value directly there (it could be the best to add a dropdown for this like currently there is the dropdown to select write or append the keyword). Maybe a list of entries (like the list of keywords) would not be necessary for other fields but it could be a good option too - depending how it can get implemented.

I hope this can be implemented with not too much work and it would speed up filling photo data quite a lot.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Enhanced keyword panel
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:14:27 AM »
Is there any hope to implement this request some time?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »
Is there any hope to implement this request some time?

When I make the changes necessary to allow the Preview window to operate non-modally, it should be quite possible to use the Keywords panel from within the Preview window.  As for the additional request, we'll have to think it over.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 10:45:49 PM »
When I make the changes necessary to allow the Preview window to operate non-modally, it should be quite possible to use the Keywords panel from within the Preview window.  As for the additional request, we'll have to think it over.

-Kirk

Thanks the reply Kirk, I hope for the best and keep up the fine job (with the catalog project as well).
Allways shooting RAW.