Author Topic: Slide show crashes PM 4.5.4 on MBP iCore i7  (Read 2683 times)

Offline jscowsert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slide show crashes PM 4.5.4 on MBP iCore i7
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:30:06 AM »
Kirk,
I just bought a new MacBook Pro 2.66 ghz intel core i7 with 4GB Ram OSX 10.6.4.  Migrated PM 4.5.4 from my older MBP to the new machine.  When viewing images with the slide show in PM I get a brief black screen then PM shuts down.  Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:15:05 AM by jscowsert »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slide show crashes PM 4.5.4 on MBP iCore i7
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:18:40 AM »
Jim,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro 2.66 ghz intel core i7 with 4GB Ram OSX 10.6.4.  Migrated PM 4.5.4 from my older MBP to the new machine.  When viewing images with the slide show in PM I get a brief black screen then PM shuts down.  Any ideas?

No, but I wish we could reproduce it.  We've had fewer than 10 users report the same issue with the same hardware but we're taking this issue seriously.  We went so far as to purchase the same model as one user reported MacBook Pro (2010) Intel i7 processor and still cannot reproduce the problem.

If you can help me reproduce the problem on my system, I'd be most appreciative.  Can you offer any hints?  Perhaps if you gave me your phone number I could call you and we could try to get the problem to happen on my system interactively.

Send me a personal message with your contact information (click on my name to the left of this posting and then click on the 'personal message' link.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jscowsert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:28:40 PM »
Kirk,
Sorry...just getting back.  I was running the slide show on a folder of images that I saved as 1.5 meg .jpg files from the ingested folder.  Nothing different than I've done over the past few years on my previous MBP.  The screen would go black and you could see it was trying to start the slide show by the cursor flickering...then PM would shut down. 
It's a mute point for me as of now...I returned my new MBP and am sticking with the older one.  Didn't see much difference in speed for what I do with my older 2.16 GHz core 2 duo.  I had all kinds of ingest problems last night with my new MBP trying to ingest with a USB reader versus the Express Card on my old MBP.  Don't know if it was my machine or what but had unsupported files on several of my photos, etc...
Thanks for your help...sorry I couldn't provide more info.
Jim C.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:50 PM »
Sorry...just getting back.  I was running the slide show on a folder of images that I saved as 1.5 meg .jpg files from the ingested folder.  Nothing different than I've done over the past few years on my previous MBP.  The screen would go black and you could see it was trying to start the slide show by the cursor flickering...then PM would shut down. 
It's a mute point for me as of now...I returned my new MBP and am sticking with the older one.  Didn't see much difference in speed for what I do with my older 2.16 GHz core 2 duo.  I had all kinds of ingest problems last night with my new MBP trying to ingest with a USB reader versus the Express Card on my old MBP.  Don't know if it was my machine or what but had unsupported files on several of my photos, etc...
Thanks for your help...sorry I couldn't provide more info.

OK, well if anyone else is able to reproduce this problem reliably, please let me know.  We're willing to repay your efforts with a year's worth of free updates to Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline jscowsert

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:02 PM »
Kirk....
Thought I would give a new MBP another try. The new MBP is the same version as above.  I'm having the same problem with 4.5.4 crashing when viewing a slideshow.  Any news on a fix?  Or do I need to upgrade to a newer version of PM.  I really like my current version and don't really need an upgrade for my work.
Thanks...
Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
Jim,

Thought I would give a new MBP another try. The new MBP is the same version as above.  I'm having the same problem with 4.5.4 crashing when viewing a slideshow.  Any news on a fix?  Or do I need to upgrade to a newer version of PM.  I really like my current version and don't really need an upgrade for my work.

The bug was fixed in a recent 4.6.x version.  There is no fix for version 4.5.x, nor is there a workaround.

The cheapest way to get an upgrade to 4.6 is to purchase a new license ($60.00 through the end of the month.)

-Kirk