Author Topic: randomized slideshow: periodically check for new images please  (Read 4558 times)

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

Hi there Kirk & everyone..

Right now Photo Mechanic has a pretty great slideshow feature, and then it has this weird parallel Live Slide Show feature on the side.

I understand that the Live Slide Show feature is useful to some folks, but it lacks all of the features of the regular slide show (rendering text, randomizing) - I'm still not quite clear on why there are two separate options, but I really would like to see these merged. Or at least add a checkbox in the regular slide show for "periodically check for new images" -

There have been many situations where I've wanted to create projection installations with randomized slideshows, and be able to add images into the mix as they are generated without having to quit the slideshow, rescan the contactsheet, and start it over again... that's less than elegant.

This strikes me as a useful and really easy to add feature, especially since the live slide show function probably already has whatever code you need to watch a folder for new files, right?

Would this be useful to anyone else?
Even if it's just me asking for it, pretty please let's add this feature.

Many thanks,
-jj

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: randomized slideshow: periodically check for new images please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 10:28:17 AM »
JJ,

I understand that the Live Slide Show feature is useful to some folks, but it lacks all of the features of the regular slide show (rendering text, randomizing) - I'm still not quite clear on why there are two separate options, but I really would like to see these merged. Or at least add a checkbox in the regular slide show for "periodically check for new images" -

There have been many situations where I've wanted to create projection installations with randomized slideshows, and be able to add images into the mix as they are generated without having to quit the slideshow, rescan the contactsheet, and start it over again... that's less than elegant.

This strikes me as a useful and really easy to add feature, especially since the live slide show function probably already has whatever code you need to watch a folder for new files, right?

The standard Slide Show operates on a selection of images.  Since newly appearing images would not be selected, the standard slide show is not suitable for your feature request.  It would be better to add more functionality to the Live Slide Show since it already scans for new images.

-Kirk

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
The standard Slide Show operates on a selection of images.  Since newly appearing images would not be selected, the standard slide show is not suitable for your feature request.  It would be better to add more functionality to the Live Slide Show since it already scans for new images.

Absolutely. Adding randomization into the Live Slide Show is my #1 request right now - and while you're at it, rendering caption text alongside would be good too. It would be great for the Live Slide Show to have the same functionality as the regular one. (And should be relatively straightforward to implement, right?)

Many thanks!
-jj

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:20:15 AM »
JJ,

Absolutely. Adding randomization into the Live Slide Show is my #1 request right now - and while you're at it, rendering caption text alongside would be good too. It would be great for the Live Slide Show to have the same functionality as the regular one. (And should be relatively straightforward to implement, right?)

I honestly have no idea.  I don't work on the slide show and the engineer who does is busy working on the cataloging features...

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 01:58:12 AM »
Let's hope it is easily implementable. This one could be a handy tool. Especially if there is an option for setting various text sizes.

I would also add my feature request (in a separate thread too if necessary) that live ingest could be a fine display tool for example event photographers. Display all images taken in a slideshow new images appear in the slideshow, filename (or any choosen photo ID code) can be displayed along with the images.

My additional wish would be:
1. have an option to display the slideshow on multiple displays. I usually use at least 2 moniotrs but some computers and situations support more than two as well. It would be great to have the slideshow on both screens and the best would be to have different images running on the two displays, nor showing the same nor repeating the images shown on the other one.
2. have an option to show 4 or more photos on one screen. either changing them one by one or all at the same time. (preferably combined with the above option).

I don't know how hard it could be to implement additional options and background for these. As my searches show there is not much application offering such features. Macs usually have no problem handling 3 or more video cards and displays but I could not find any photo slideshow application that would have support for more than one display. On Windows there is CompuPic Pro with such features, but it works with selections only and I would rather have all this in a live slideshow way and in PM if it is possible....any way I am on Mac now so the Windows programme is not a solution for me anyway...
(Shall I address this as a stand alone feature request or is it fine here? Is it possible to make it in the near future?)
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com